Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guana lake questions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:25 pm 

Hey me and my freind want to go yak fishing in guana but we are a little afraid of the giant gators messing with us. Do the gators bother you? And is guana easy to yak fish in? Thanks. :salute:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Guana lake questions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:30 pm 

No, just keep your distance if you see them and you will be fine. I fish from a canoe, but i'm sure a yaker will chime in soon to answer the rest, C.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:26 pm 

I'm trying to work up a mount that'll connect to the aft gear tracks on my Slayer. I'm finding it hard to mount the Dillon mini-gun w/o sinking though.

- Native Slayer 14.5
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:49 pm 

Never had a problem but use common sense. Don't drag a stringer of fish, be carefully and alert when near the east and west banks and when you see one keep your distance. The hundreds of people that have been eaten by Gators in Guana Lake would have been fine had they followed those simple steps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:54 pm 

jrcg8tor wrote:
Never had a problem but use common sense. Don't drag a stringer of fish, be carefully and alert when near the east and west banks and when you see one keep your distance. The hundreds of people that have been eaten by Gators in Guana Lake would have been fine had they followed those simple steps.

So funny. :tongue:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:03 pm 

In the words of Troy Landry.... Choot um Elizabeth Choot um!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:19 pm 

Best advice for gators: "You can play in their yard, but don't go in their house."

Gators out in the water are not likely to bother you. If you see a little trail that leads into the water on the bank (gator slide), don't stuff your kayak in there to park. (that leads to the house you don't want to go in)

IMHO The most dangerous beasty in our water?..... Oysters.

They'll slice you open and fill you with enuf bacteria to almost consider them venomous.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:42 pm 

I've my two boys out in my canoe on Guana Lake at least a dozen times, and been out there in my 12' kayak at least 1/2 dozen more times. I only had to incidents of concern (neither of which were in my canoe). Both times weren't bad or even really attacks -- it was just a gator defending its territory because it was that season. Just keep an eye out for them, and try not to surprise each other. Definitely don't keep your fish on a stringer, and always keep an eye out for them so when you're trying to revive/release a fish, you don't get any surprises. It can be scary when a big one that you didn't see dives into the water from the shore right in front of you. Definitely a holy $#%@ moment!

I've actually caught two 3-4' gators (it could've been the same gator) when trolling a 4" paddletail (trout colored/marked). After pulling them up to the surface, they took off at top speed but spit out the paddletail before I could even think about cutting my line. That was in my kayak on my maiden voyage! Others here have had some smaller ones snatch a lure as well.

It's a great place for fishing -- definitely my favorite. I wouldn't let the gators keep you out.

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:43 pm 

Kudzu wrote:
I'm trying to work up a mount that'll connect to the aft gear tracks on my Slayer. I'm finding it hard to mount the Dillon mini-gun w/o sinking though.

Is that a genuine Dillon or the Swann knock-off? :tongue:

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:55 pm 

I fished today from my yak for the first time ever on this lake. I was going to launch at 6 mile but it looked a bit to creature like for my blood and I was nervous about being the only car in the parking area at 7 am so I put in at the dam. Saw 3 gators in the water on the west shore through the day and actually never knew they were gators until the last one dove under when I got too close (30 feet). I had no idea it was a gator since I never saw one and it looked like a log in the water to me. So if you see what looks like timber near the shore be a little smarter then I was and figure if its not moving and the wind is blowing stay clear.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:07 pm 

internetpilot wrote:
Kudzu wrote:

Is that a genuine Dillon or the Swann knock-off? :tongue:

When it comes to incredible firepower I have to go name brand. But I use knockoff bullets to make it affordable to shoot. :-P

And just for the record PVC will NOT support this thing. :-(

- Native Slayer 14.5
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:36 pm 

Have fished Guana lake dozens of times. I even purchase the yearly pass, on 4th one now. Only had one scare, maiden trip using a stringer. Seen as many as 7 at once and they are no problem. Like other have said don't go near the shore where a gator slide is. I never get less than 20 feet from the shore. Great fishing and be ready for fish at any time and any place. Always troll something. Use any and all baits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:59 pm 

I had a pretty good scare the first time I fished there, I was paddling along and as I paddled on my right side I must have touched a gator or nearly did cause he took off and caused a huge swirl and hit the bottom of my kayak. I never did see how big he was.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:10 pm 

wait!!!!!!!!!!! stop the press!!!!!!!!! Kudzu, that gator at guana was not that big.. hahahahahhah

J&T jigs
J&T Kayak Adventures

Native Slayer Propel
Heritage Angler 12
Ocean kayak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:50 pm 

Size doesn't matter. :-P

- Native Slayer 14.5