Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:31 am 

Alexb1987ok wrote:
This is just my opinion .. But I think u will love a sot.. The hybrids don't have scuppers and if u take a wave over the side u will be glad u had them.. There is a nice stealth 12 on the classified add right now ... He has it priced right also.. That could be a option for u .. :thumbright:

WOW!! That ^^^ is a GREAT deal!! That's a big boy kayak for sure. I have a 14 and can carry a ton.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:09 am 

Alexb1987ok wrote:
This is just my opinion .. But I think u will love a sot.. The hybrids don't have scuppers and if u take a wave over the side u will be glad u had them.. There is a nice stealth 12 on the classified add right now ... He has it priced right also.. That could be a option for u .. :thumbright:

Most of the hybrids have the same hull height as my Scanoe, which also doesn't have scuppers. Still, since the Perception Destiny has a SOT style seat right on the deck, it really should have scuppers. It's a bad design. Not too bad for $450, but I noticed most of the big box stores have them priced closer to $700 than $400, which is just crazy. The Wilderness Commander, Native Ultimate, and (of course) my Scanoe all have raised seats. The one time I took several waves over the bow of my Scanoe (when, of all people, a Sheriff's boat plowed at top speed right be me and my two boys fishing on Black Creek), I just used my bilge and then my sponge. I think I would've been even less happy had that happened to me in a SOT, scuppers or not, because I would've had a wet butt and completely soaked gear.

I don't know what kayak I'm going to end up with -- probably why I'm still in a Scanoe. In researching it, I'm seeing far more horror stories for SOTs than the hybrids/canoes. For a big guy like me (6'3", 240lbs), scuppers don't seem to be my friend in any but the biggest kayaks because even some of the better namebrands rated for 375-400lbs capacity have their share of reviews of everything from wet-butt syndrome to "geisering" scuppers the first time they sat down in it fully loaded for fishing. Plus, when you do get water in a SOT (truly in the hull), that's when you're really screwed, especially out on the water. For just about every SOT model out there, I've seen several nightmare reviews about leaking hatches, gallons of water, almost not making it back in, etc. I realize those are relatively rare experiences, but you just don't see stories like that with the hybrids.

The one true SOT that I'm currently considering is the Native Slayer, and that's only because it has a pretty high capacity and a seat that's pretty high off the deck. Unfortunately, it also has a high pricetag to match. My biggest mistake was probably buying a $350 Scanoe first...haha. Everything else seems to be rather audaciously priced compared to that. Again, probably why I'm still in a Scanoe...

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:28 pm 

Lol yeah I see your point.. As far as a big boy yak I am purchasing a ride 135 and I'm 6 ft 300 lbs and its a dry ride... But at 1000$ it above what u are looking to pay... But good luck in your search!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:46 pm 

Oh, I'm probably facing an inevitable lighter wallet scenario, as my personal requirements (and those pesky personal preferences) keep steering me toward something new and much higher end than the typical fare at Academy. I just have to get over the fact that a canoe that meets just about all my requirements is a lot cheaper than a kayak. My choices and requirements all seem to center around a sweet seat, so now I just have to figure whether Wilderness, Native, or Jackson will pry my $ out of my death grip.

It ain't easy being a cheapo and a prissy snob with this hobby!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 pm 

Found out more info on the Pelican mentioned in the original post. Although Academy has it labeled as Pelican Icon 120x Angler (and there's actually a factory decal on the hull with "Icon 120x Angler"), Pelican HQ (in Canada) says it's the Strike 120x Angler. They did confirm it's new for 2013. A little worrisome that they don't even know they're own product.

As with most kayaks at Academy, their Icon variant is missing some features that the Strike has (a hatch behind the seat, a cleat, probably some other stuff), which is likely how they whittled the price down to $400. I've attached some pics of both the Icon and the Strike spec sheet that Pelican sent me.

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1361490267131.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361490267131.jpg [ 33.93 KiB | Viewed 3583 times ]
uploadfromtaptalk1361490251813.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361490251813.jpg [ 48.8 KiB | Viewed 3583 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:12 pm 

Christmas Sale of the 12' Pelican Fishing Kayak at Academy Sports (The new Store in close to Target near the Avenues Mall) $299

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pelican ... ak&Ntk=All

Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:05 pm 

You getting a new kayak, Gumby? ; )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:08 am 

internetpilot wrote:
Oh, I'm probably facing an inevitable lighter wallet scenario, as my personal requirements (and those pesky personal preferences) keep steering me toward something new and much higher end than the typical fare at Academy. I just have to get over the fact that a canoe that meets just about all my requirements is a lot cheaper than a kayak. My choices and requirements all seem to center around a sweet seat, so now I just have to figure whether Wilderness, Native, or Jackson will pry my $ out of my death grip.

It ain't easy being a cheapo and a prissy snob with this hobby!

Pilot.....you crack me up......if my memory serves me correctly (it fails a-lot though) weren't you the one who posted a pic of your scanoe next to your 20k pool in the back yard......go get your kayak ;-) and quit being a snobbbb.

I have a pescadur 12.......had it for 2 years now, 5'8", 200lbs, wet arse every time I go out, but inside hull has never seen a drop of water.......yet.

Happy holidays to all
~Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:05 am 

That's funny :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:46 am 

internetpilot wrote:
You getting a new kayak, Gumby? ; )

I love the price! Just got to get the boss to "buy in" to the idea of me getting a new kayak. Of course, at the 12' length, I could probably take my daughter out with me instead of going solo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:39 pm 

Grumpy wrote:
Pilot.....you crack me up......if my memory serves me correctly (it fails a-lot though) weren't you the one whl posted a pic of your scanoe next to your 20k pool in the back yard......go get your kayak ;-) and quit being a snobbbb.

I have a pescadur 12.......had it for 2 years now, 5'8", 200lbs, wet arse every time I go out, but inside hull has never seen a drop of water.......yet.

Happy holidays to all
~Grumpy

Your memory is failing you, Grump! I already took fireyak's advice above and got the Perception Sport Destiny kayak almost a year ago and the pictures I posted were of that kayak in front of my pool. I'm not a snob -- I'm the ultimate cheapo! If I was a snob I would be pedaling not paddling!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:46 pm 

gumby wrote:
I love the price! Just got to get the boss to "buy in" to the idea of me getting a new kayak. Of course, at the 12' length, I could probably take my daughter out with me instead of going solo.

That's actually a very nicely equipped kayak. If it would have been that low of a price back when I was kayak shopping, I don't think I could have passed that up. At the time my Perception Sport Destiny was the cheapest one I could find.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:57 pm 

LMAO - I don't know what i'd do with all that extra space!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:47 pm 

internetpilot wrote:
Grumpy wrote:
Pilot.....you crack me up......if my memory serves me correctly (it fails a-lot though) weren't you the one whl posted a pic of your scanoe next to your 20k pool in the back yard......go get your kayak ;-) and quit being a snobbbb.

Happy holidays to all
~Grumpy

Your memory is failing you, Grump! I already took fireyak's advice above and got the Perception Sport Destiny kayak almost a year ago and the pictures I posted were of that kayak in front of my pool. I'm not a snob -- I'm the ultimate cheapo! If I was a snob I would be pedaling not paddling!

AH-HA.....I got the pool right though :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:50 am 

Well, except it's a $60k pool. I only wish it was a $20k pool that I had to maintain and never use myself.