Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:30 pm 

Lately I've been working as a touring guide, paddling long, skinny boats with narrow cockpits (trapped-inside kayaks) and its KILLING me the number of reds and other assorted fishys I've spooked without a line to throw at them. My normal spinning rod ain't going to cut it. So me thinks an emmrod may be in my near future.

I've been poking around the web looking at comments and danged if I can find a genuine negative review. By genuine, I mean comments other than "why would you fish with a cb antennae?", "its a silly gimmick","it attracts lightning" and "your friends will all point and laugh at you and call you Jeff".
Well, I've been called considerably worse, but its hard to find many reviews from real fishermen (other than JM) :D

Although I'd love to hear some good reviews from people who have actually caught fish with it, what I'm really looking for is some comments about its shortcomings from those same folk. I realize its the greatest thing since sliced bread (Jeff), but I'd also like to know what it's less good for.

Last edited by fishesfromtupperware on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:39 pm 

You know i fish religiously with my top water emmrod. The biggest short coming is leverage. At the NE bash i caught the 23 1/2 in trout on it and what normally would take a minute or 2 to bring in with with my standard rods took a little while longer. The reason is that there is not enough rod to horse the fish in anew direction. To me i have fished with it for over a year and very used to it now. Just tune the drag and you will be fine.

Jackson Cuda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:43 pm 

Tmdfam wrote:
At the NE bash i caught the 23 1/2 in trout on it and what normally would take a minute or 2 to bring in with with my standard rods took a little while longer.

Hmmm, that sounds like a pretty dang good problem to have. :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:14 pm 

I recall seeing a number of folks on this site comment on being happy with the Emmrods they have bought.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:42 pm 

:D :D Ahh another Emmrod thread. Number one thing the Emmrod is not real good for is, drum roll here :-B Surf casting and putting in into a sand spike. It's just a tad too short and the wave action will of course hit the line all the time too close to the rod position. Now we had sold a number of them to surf fishing folks but they carry them as plug rods to toss plugs into the tide pools while waiting for a hit on the bait off their surf stick. I prefer bait casting over spinning and find that when we fish Canada each summer my landing from hook up to in the boat with big northen pike and musky is much faster with the Emmrod. The fastest pole for that is the Combat rod in a casting version. My rig being the Packrod handle rigged with a Curado 300 or ABU Inshore 5500. The Emmrod is a tough comparison to regular tubular fishing rods. The casting stroke is different is requires very little power for a long cast. The feel while fighing big fish is not the same as a long arched pole. You are right there close in the action so it much more hand to fin combat, but easy to do. I compare it to hunting big game with a handgun instead of a rifle. Loads of fun, you have tremendous power all close at hand. I've used these rods for a long time ( since 2006 now ) and absolutely love the action and fighting power. The main reason we became distributors is the up front way the Emmrod folks work with us and the fact that they back their gear so well. Just today I was on the phone with them talking about new ideas. Similar discussions in the past are the reason we have the Emmrod designs we now offer. If anyone wants to buy one I've always encouraged them to call me so we can match up the right rig to thier style of fishing plus the gear they prefer. Emmrods are habit forming and once you get into them it's very tough to get on the water and not have them along.

http://www.jeffstacklebox.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:35 pm 

JeffreyMcGovern wrote:
Number one thing the Emmrod is not real good for is, drum roll here :-B Surf casting and putting in into a sand spike.

So the only thing an emmrod is not good for is as a sand spike? :scratch: Seems that coil would help it hold a bit better.

Oh you said in a sand spike. :lol:

Ok, so not such a great surf rod and think of it as hunting with a Glock. I got it (I think). :?

I'll have to give it a shot. :thumbleft:

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:02 pm 

I can't see how you would handle a fish running from one side to the other using such a short rod.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:03 pm 

My Emmrod doesn't pick up Showtime.. only HBO :D

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 pm 

Fish fighing is simply closer in. I've had large fish go every direction you can imagine and still had little trouble with them. It's a different style of fight with the Emmrod.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 pm 

I did not read the rest of the reply's yet but first thought that came to mind when I read the topic is, "they are too short", C.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:02 pm 

JeffreyMcGovern wrote:
Fish fighing is simply closer in. I've had large fish go every direction you can imagine and still had little trouble with them. It's a different style of fight with the Emmrod.

I think he's talking about running to the other side of the boat...in which case I feel like the short length of the Emmrod would put you at a disadvantage, as you can't reach out quickly and maneuver the rod around the front/back of the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:39 pm 

Oh OK running around the kayak. Two ways I handle that. One is to get the tip of the Emmrod near or into the water keeping the fish down and using the space under the boat rather than above it. The other is to simply stand then guide the fish where ever I want to from that vantage. Of course that's is easy in my Wavewalk since standing in the W500 is like getting up from a chair. Very easy and you can do it with both hands full

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:59 am 

JeffreyMcGovern wrote:
The other is to simply stand then guide the fish where ever I want to from that vantage. Of course that's is easy in my Wavewalk since standing in the W500 is like getting up from a chair.

Stand up? Hmmmm, :scratch: Not so easy in a 17' by 22" wide boat that I wear like pants. :lol:

Guess that first option will have to do and I need to master my hand roll. ;)