Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nature Coast Slam 10/7
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:46 pm 

For the few years I have been kayak fishing I have never managed to get a slam because of that third fish, the snook. Sometimes though, I would go fishing and manage a snook but no red. Finally I managed to catch all three. Started the morning off with a decent blow up on topwater. At first I thought it was a rat red until I saw some white stripes. The mangrove snapper would have made an excellent snack for me but the treble hooks did not hold and it popped off right at the boat. At this point I made a mental note to bring the net. After working to the next area I manged a decent midslot trout but after trying to get the grips in the mouth, he popped off. Really started to wish I brought my net. I managed a lower slot red and later caught a upper slot red in one of my snook spots. I was amazed because at first I thought I had a snook. It took some long runs on a heavy drag and would not show his face until he was finally subdued. The fillet's I pulled off that fish are huge, literally looked like a football or a tuna. As I was heading back I hit up one last spot and got some aggressive strikes. At first I thought it was a ladyfish but turned out to be a little snooklet. Slam completed. I caught some more dinky trout and another mangrove snapper on topwater. Was a good day on the new yak. Was not the largest slam but I plan to work on that with the new work schedule.

Sorry about the pictures, but I'm currently competing in an online tournament.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter