Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ozello area?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:35 pm 

Heading over to the Crystal River area for the Labor day weekend. Thinking about hitting Ozello area. Can anyone give me any advice on were to launch and areas to fish? Not looking for honey holes just a few fish. Thanks.

Future Beach Angler 160 DLX (Sand)
14ft Coleman Scanoe.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Ozello area?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:49 pm 

Go all the way to the end of the road, across the little bridge then to the right is the public "ramp". Perfect place to launch a kayak. Just paddle out towards the Gulf from the ramp and you are in some great fishing waters. The entire Ozello area is good fishing. Tons and tons of Mangrove shorelines and oyster bars to fish. I will be there this weekend as well, only fishing from my boat. If you look on Google Earth, the area between the ramp and Mullet Key is good, as well as the area back towards Spice Key. Most redfish are being caught on cut ladyfish right now, but the topwater bite has been good early in the mornings along the points. You can also launch from the end of Fort Island Trail and paddle south towards Mullet Key and be in some fishy waters as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:40 pm 

You can fish pirate's cove or from john brown road. John brown features a nice mix of spartina grass/mud and mangroves. Pirates cove has the same mix but alot more mangrove, sort of like the everglades without the tannic water. Topwater and shiny plastics are your best bet, there is too much pinfish to be throwing live bait. If you launch from pirates cove, make sure you know how to find your way back, you can get lost if you don't pay attention.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:40 pm 

Thinking John Brown Rd launch tomorrow morn 9/1 around 6:30am. Anyone want to join me? Just give me a shout or just meet me there.

Future Beach Angler 160 DLX (Sand)
14ft Coleman Scanoe.