Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:41 am 

Never fails...try to get an early start out of town for a weekend camping trip and as always the world must sense it and do eveything possible to delay you from leaving! Which equals traffic, bait shop closed when you get there, and putting up the new tent in the dark...lol...gotta love it! But on to the fishing report...watched the sun rise over the flats sat. morning with some dead shrimp and arties ready to go. FIshed the last of the incoming tide with not much luck, just a couple of sail cats and small croaker. Then decided to explore a little as the tide was headed out and found where some nice oyster beds close to the camp site. Set out that evening as the tide was coming in and saw bait getting busted on all the beds we saw earlier. Still with nothing but dead shrimp and arties we headed out. First spot spent most of the time getting my boy Austin(4) unstuck off the oysters and lost 2 nice reds at the boat :angryfire: . But the patience paid off as I landed my PB 20" black drum and then 20min later beat that with a new PB of 21". Moved to another spot 20yards away to a point with a oyster bar on it and my son caught a nice sized sail cat. I started throwing a green and silver mirro and got into ladyfish and trout. We slayed them...must have caught 15 lady's and 10 trout all 12-14". Austin was having a blast being my net man and watching the lady's get airborne! Sunday morning got in a couple of hours on the last of the incoming tide before breaking down camp. Hit the same spots but less bait action. Ran out of dead shrimp about an hour into the trip(bad planning on my part). So Austin wanted to do a lure like me. Not giving it a whole lot of thought I rigged him a popping cork with a penny colored gulp shrimp. He did a good job at first with casting and working it but then got tired of it and just let it sit there. I was working mine and getting hits but no takers. With Austins just sitting still and no action...bam...float goes under and hes hooked a nice 18" red. :cheers: Then we had to head in and get packed up.
All in all it was a GREAT trip...good family time..and that place is beautiful!! Camp site was awesome and launching was super easy. We saw tons of wildlife, deer, and some hogs along the bank while we were out on the boat. I highly recommend this place for a weekend get away!! We didn't venture out to far from our launch point much, because we weren't to familiar with the area, but there is lots of water to explore.
Wasn't able to net any live bait though....the bridge leading into the park is under construction and closed...and all bait by the launch area was super small.
Hope everyone had a good weekend!!!

Attachments:
2012-06-30_18-57-12_529.jpg
2012-06-30_18-57-12_529.jpg [ 64.33 KiB | Viewed 909 times ]
2012-06-30_19-00-27_273.jpg
2012-06-30_19-00-27_273.jpg [ 54.54 KiB | Viewed 909 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:09 pm 

Hey FishinCPO......Sounds like you all had great trip down there, except for the start of it...LOL!!! Always happens....

Glad you and your son got onto some fish.....he must have been thrilled with the "poor man's tarpon) action, and those black drum were very nice.....were they cooked over the campfire....NOTHING better when you are camping than fresh fish on the campfire!!

Glad that he got that nice legal redfish too......I think your son is "hooked" now.....Congrats, Dad!! :thumbright:
JohnYaksJax

PS: Hope some of my PM'ed info helped out....???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:24 pm 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Hey FishinCPO......Sounds like you all had great trip down there, except for the start of it...LOL!!! Always happens....

Glad you and your son got onto some fish.....he must have been thrilled with the "poor man's tarpon) action, and those black drum were very nice.....were they cooked over the campfire....NOTHING better when you are camping than fresh fish on the campfire!!

Glad that he got that nice legal redfish too......I think your son is "hooked" now.....Congrats, Dad!! :thumbright:
JohnYaksJax

PS: Hope some of my PM'ed info helped out....???

JYJ, We did have a great trip! As a matter of fact we did indeed cook the drum over the camp fire...and we ate well that night!! Austin got a little upset when we let that red go, but we had more than enough fish for the 4 of us already. He's just a touch to younger to fully understand to only keep what you need. But I def think he's "hooked" though cause fishing is all we talk about.

YES SIR...the info was greatly appreciated and put to use! Maybe next time we'll even see you down there!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:31 pm 

Hey FishinCPO......You did great down there for your first trip, so not chatting on the phone did not hurt you at all!!

Camping and fishing at the Moody's Campsites is awesome.....pretty neat to fish all day and drag your kayak about 20 feet up in the grass and then walk 30 feet to your tent and vehicle........and do the reverse that next morning!! Fond memories there....

Yeah, I will drive down there and meet you for a day trip nearly anytime with some advance notice......Thanks!!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:58 pm 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Hey FishinCPO......You did great down there for your first trip, so not chatting on the phone did not hurt you at all!!

Camping and fishing at the Moody's Campsites is awesome.....pretty neat to fish all day and drag your kayak about 20 feet up in the grass and then walk 30 feet to your tent and vehicle........and do the reverse that next morning!! Fond memories there....

Yeah, I will drive down there and meet you for a day trip nearly anytime with some advance notice......Thanks!!!
JohnYaksJax

No not chatting didn't hurt to much....but I might have done a little better. I just ran out of time and felt like I was running 100mph trying to get everything wrapped up before I left.

I might just take you up on that one of these days. My advance notice isn't more than a couple of days with work and evrything. But I would def be up for a day trip down there to get some fishing in!