Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marsh Anchor Idea
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:45 am 

This will probly put Wang anchors out of business but will save you some $$$. So I've seen every ones posts on JKF about marsh anchors. Some people are making them out of broom handles ect. and im sure that the 80$+ "brand name" products have some frills(like a stainless tip) but this has got to be the winner in home made marsh anchor ideas. Saw this on FS, forum members were talking about marsh anchors for 17'+ boats. Grainger, Which we have here in Jax, Sells a fiberglass rod stock in 5' and 10' lengths. Guys said they were using 3/4" diamiter for thier boats. With the kayak being much lighter, I'm thinking about crafting a marsh anchor out of a 10', 3/8" diamiter fiberglass rod stock. Tensile strength is rated at 100,000(PSI)? Don't really know what that means but it sounds freakin' STRONG. Its gotta beat a broom stick... and for $8.81 its worth a shot.

Going to pick up materials tomorrow. Will post results.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DYNAFO ... Pid=search

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Marsh Anchor Idea
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:39 am 

what are you going to use for the tip? figure just using fiberglass would break it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:55 am 

ChippyDiesel wrote:
This will probly put Wang anchors out of business but will save you some $$$. So I've seen every ones posts on JKF about marsh anchors. Some people are making them out of broom handles ect. and im sure that the 80$+ "brand name" products have some frills(like a stainless tip) but this has got to be the winner in home made marsh anchor ideas. Saw this on FS, forum members were talking about marsh anchors for 17'+ boats. Grainger, Which we have here in Jax, Sells a fiberglass rod stock in 5' and 10' lengths. Guys said they were using 3/4" diamiter for thier boats. With the kayak being much lighter, I'm thinking about crafting a marsh anchor out of a 10', 3/8" diamiter fiberglass rod stock. Tensile strength is rated at 100,000(PSI)? Don't really know what that means but it sounds freakin' STRONG. Its gotta beat a broom stick... and for $8.81 its worth a shot.

10' might prove to be a big pain in the ass. I have a shorter 5' rod and a 8' stick it pin I use with my boat...after using both on the kayak, shorter is better for that type of anchor. I really want to try Captain Rich's setup using an anchor on both ends of the kayak.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:11 pm 

Fiberglass rods are made of "fibers". After jamming the tip in shell bottom and with all the flexing over time, you'll likely get some micro splintering. Sliding your bare hand up and down the fiberglass rod it to pull it out of the bottom and to wipe off the mud could result in painful cuts or splinters in your hand.

Stick-It Anchor Pins are made of solid reinforced polyester resin and will not splinter. I've had mine for years, and with lots of heavy use/abuse it's still in excellent condition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:50 pm 

I found a heavy duty mop handle at a thrift store for a buck.....fatter than the standard broom stick....sharpened it up like a pencil.....works great. I doubt i'll need another one in my lifetime......less I buy my son a kayak.

Grumpy

Post subject: Marsh Anchor Idea
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:54 pm 

I use a 3 ft piece of 3/4" Sch 40 PVC. Just cut the buisness side at a sharp angle. It fits thru my scupper holes perfectly. Total cost about .66¢

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:59 pm 

I was using a 8' aluminum paint pole till I decided to try bamboo and I love the bamboo it's light and tough. And was free!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:55 pm 

We call them SOP's (Stake-Out Pole)

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:10 am 

rollin904 wrote:
ChippyDiesel wrote:

10' might prove to be a big pain in the ass. I have a shorter 5' rod and a 8' stick it pin I use with my boat...after using both on the kayak, shorter is better for that type of anchor. I really want to try Captain Rich's setup using an anchor on both ends of the kayak.

The plan is to cut it down to about 7', 10' would be way too long for the yak and i hardly ever anchor were its deeper than a couple feet but it can always be made shorter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:24 am 

I like the idea of using bamboo but I want to try something that will hold up to the test of time and abuse. That's a helpful heads up about "fiber" of fiberglass. Hopefully I can find something metal to cover the end to alleviate that problem.

Any ways, as far as an update goes, don't really have one. Called Grainger, which is only open mon-fri, but did get forwarded to customer service were I spoke to a nice young lady who looked up the availability of the fiberglass rod stock. Seems like Grainger needs a new purchasing manager as the size 3/4" diameter in 10' and 5' were sold out (didn't seem like they were expecting any more anytime soon). 1/2" diameter 10' and 5', sold out. So i ended up ordering 2 10', in 3/9" diameter to the store on Phillips. She said it will ship out of Chicago tomorrow. So I will have enough material to make my buddy one too as he just got a kayak for Christmas. I need some ideas for the handle on it, I was thinking PVC but im not sure it will bond effectively to the fiberglass. I guess i could use screws and screw it in but with the diameter of the fiberglass stock im not sure if that will result in a less structurally sound finished product. Open to ideas, guna chop some bamboo for tomorrows outing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am 

DAJ wrote:
I was using a 8' aluminum paint pole till I decided to try bamboo and I love the bamboo it's light and tough. And was free!

Having forgotten that I'd discovered that my sweet 7' carbon fiber composite SOP did not float on my last trip, I found myself about to leave home without one.
Then I looked up and noticed a whole grove of stake out poles separating mine from my neighbors house. :D
20 minutes later, I was good to go.

not a very good pic, but you get the idea

Your buddies may point and laugh (Chappy did), but darned if it didn't work really well.
Still does, but I may put at tip on it.
And it floats! :thumbleft:

Last edited by fishesfromtupperware on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:38 pm 

If you find that the glass rod has fibers that are giving you splinters, easy fix, just mix up some epoxy resin (west systems or something similar) and paint the rod with it. That should seal it just fine. Also, I've seen fiberglass ones for sale at Dicks that are just sharpened on the end. I don't see that being much of a problem, especially at the disposable price you are buying the stock at. Keep us posted how it goes. You can put some rubber friction tape at the top for a handle or epoxy a short secton of 1" dowel on the end for a T handle.

ss

Last edited by keastman on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:04 pm 

You need to install a metal point.

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:37 pm 

i built one from a fiberglass rod from grainger, I used 1/2 inch, I have had it for over a year now, no metal tip just sharpened the end with a grinder, i have resharpened it once mine is 7 feet long

it works well, no complaints, just remember when you get the rod it is RAW fiberglass sand it down and paint it or you will have many fiberglass fibers in your hands, I finished the top with a barbed brass Tee fitting and a short piece of fiberglass rod epoxied on

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:51 pm 

Great job on your SOP Stew!!!
I just stole your Idea... Thanks!!.. :smoke:

The Brass T fitting was brilliant.....