Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Pro Angler.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:46 am 

How many of you have the Hobie Pro Angler? Also have you had any problems with it? If so what and what did you do about it. My wheel cart rubbed a hole in the scupper. Hull had to be replaced. I also got a crack along some molding off to the side of the seat. It was a 2010 model. They have offered to replace the Hull for a small fee but didn't know if this is common or not. Thought I might switch to a out back. I liked the PA except for the weight of it at times. Comfortable and can take a lot of crap with you for a long day on the water. I am rather new to the Hobie/kayak world and looking for advice. Thought a universal cart that don't use the scupper might be good idea. Any advice any of you can provide on taking care of this type of Hobie would be great. Any pictular way you all transport and launch this heavy weight? Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Hobie Pro Angler.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:22 pm 

Hi Navy, this is a touchy subject on most kayak sites. So, I'll try to be as politically correct as possible. I'm sure I'll still get blasted.

I'm a Hobie revolution owner and got a crack at the front handle within the first year. It was patched by my dealer. A year later, it reappeared. So needless to say I'm bias.

It's probably just me, but I don't believe the quality of the Hobie kayak equals that of other brands. I've seen owner's of other brands treat their's lack crap without ever having problems with cracks. I personally wish Hobie would allow other manufacturers to produce kayaks that fit the mirage drive. If they did, I would not buy a Hobie. But, I would still buy a mirage drive.

This is only my opinion due to my experience with my first and only kayak which I've owned for 2 years. Despite this, I will only own Hobie kayaks. At least, until someone else makes a drive equal to the mirage.

P.S. When I get my second yak, it will probably be an outback.

Hopefully, I pulled off being politically correct and honest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:12 am 

OK thanks. My Dealer took good care of me. I might have been a little hard on my boat. You also have to be extra careful with the wheel cart in the scupper. I would like to find a cart that don't use the scupper holes! I think it is a must especially with the PA because of its weight that when you roll it over that the cart is in all the way and locked in place bebore you roll it back over. If the universal cart would work with the PA I would use it. We didn't think at the dealer it would. We Thought because of the Hull design that the bottom of the boat would rub the wheels. Which thicker foam pads might correct that if it is the case. I don't mean to blast anyone. Just looking to find solutions to problems. The boats are not indestructible and me being new to this looking for good ideas to take better care of my boat so I hopefully don't have to take it in for repairs or replacement again. I would like to go to BCO and try a sail on a PA. I tried a OB but felt that I was to big for it. I got a lot of water in and around the drive. So with gear I am worried my rear end will get wet. I also jacked up my back in the Navy. Back never bothered me in my PA. Thought the smaller lighter Hobie might be better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:19 am 

This is the only way I would consider transporting a Pro Angler. They are just to damn heavy to be lifting :angryfire:

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:40 am 

Hey Navy1970.....I saw your first post on this thread yesterday morning, and read it with great interest since I work P/T at Black Creek Outfitters, and sell many of the Hobie products. I went there yesterday on my normal day off to do some training and also meet with a customer and sell him a Ride 115....Thanks, Woody!!

While I was there, I wanted to see your Pro Angler and the problems you are having with it. Clark showed me the two cracks in it and told me that Hobie is doing a "hull replacement" for you, so that should be a good resolution for you.

The Hobie literature does not call the P/A a "kayak".....they say it is a "boat" and with a "Rigged Weight" of 138#, it is not as easy to transport as other Hobies or other kayaks in general. Most buyers feel the benefits of the P/A outweigh this issue though.
You mentioned getting a different type of kayak cart to transport it, and I wondered if you checked out the C-Tug carts while you were there?? They now have 2 types of interchangeable wheels, adjustable pads for the kayak/canoe/boat to sit on, carry a payload of up to 300#, and have a 5 year warranty:
http://www.c-tug.net/

C'mon into the store and test the "sail kit" in our demo P/A anytime, and check out the C-Tug too!!
Hope to meet you in there sometime!!
JohnYaksJax
PS1: With your back issues, the seat in the P/A must be a real benefit to you!!
PS2: Hey Cotton....nice post and well said....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:07 am 

Thanks for the info. I don't have a problem lifting it. Well I don't lift it all at once. If you do it right it is no problem to roof top. I would like a trailer but if I have to have a trailer them might as well just use my Carolina Skiff. LOL. I would like to look at the cart you mentioned. I think one common problem is possible people new to this don't think and don't get the cart in correctly before they roll the boat over on it. I would think this should be pointed out clearly when you purchase a Hobie with a wheel cart that uses the scupper holes. If you don't get the cart all the way in and keep it there when you roll it over then the cart gouges the side of the scupper. Well that is what I think anyway. So with that said You either got to take your time or get a cart that does not use the scupper holes. I have had to learn the hard way. I looked at a OB and tried one out last time I was up at BCO. I didn't like how much water would come in from around the drive. Looked easy to get a wet rear end and I would not like that. Wet ass sucks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:16 am 

You will have water around the hole for the Mirage Drive on the Outback but water doesn't kick up on the hatch lid or into the seat. Dry as a bone :cheers: Think Hobie has a rubber splash plate that you can attach to the drive if you think water will kick-up.

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:33 pm 

OK hanks for the info!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:25 pm 

islandspeed,

i am going to convert a jon boat trailer to carry my yak and was wondering what brand/model rack that is on your trailer.

any info is appreciated.
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:46 pm 

Trailex trailer. Will look up model number. Send me a PM to remind me. Jerry

Hobie Pro Angler 12