Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 pm 

This video looks easy enough and the electrical duct seal putty is affordable at approximately $5. All you have to do is make a small moat/dam for the transducer to set inside of while the 1/8" of water disperses any interfering air bubbles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1i ... re=related

I have also heard of a simular mount using silicone adhesive. Using a tube of silicone, squeeze a pile/lump of silicone on the floor of the kayak where you intend to mount the transducer and press the transducer into it and allow it to set up. Supposedly, since there are no air bubbles trapped between the transducer and the silicone, the transducer will read straight through the floor/hull of the kayak.

I know a guy that uses a simular method of this for ice fishing. As long as there's clear ice, all he does is squirt some water on top of the ice, set the transducer in the water that's on top of the ice and it will read straight through the ice. He says this keeps him from drilling a lot of holes, until he can find a spot that has fish.

Has anyone heard of or used this method for mounting a transducer?

Thank you, Outdoorguy57

Last edited by Outdoorguy57 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:45 am 

Your link isn't working properly. However, think most of us use Marine Goop to secure the tranducer to the kayak.

Mounting of a Transducer is rather simple:

Clean/sand the bottom of the kayak where you are securing the tranducer

Take a piece of the Jumbo pool noodle and cut out a place to set your tranducer inside. You need this to keep your Marine Goop from spreading out.

Glue the pool noodle to your kayak where you are going to secure the tranducer. Let it dry before proceeding

Fill the "hole' with 1 inch Marine Goop

Slowly/Carefully push the transducer into the Goop. Use a slight rotating motion to help eliminate "air pockets" from forming.

Let the tranducer/goop cure for a minium of 3 days to eliminate movement or seperation from the kayak.

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:19 am 

I need to put the transducer in my yak...been looking at it for a few months and I'm just lazy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:32 am 

Was in the marine electronics buisiness for 15 years we use to mount transducers inside hulls all the time --and a boat hull is about 1 inch thick ---you lose about 1/2 the power sounding thru the boat hull but most recorders have ample sensitivety to compensate for the loss---another trick we used sometimes to determine the best place to place the transducer for high boat speed recording is to place the transducer in a plastic bag filled with water then move the transducer to diffent parts of the inside hull to obtain the best performance. You could just use a bag with water in it and you would not have to mount the transducer at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:14 am 

Pretty cool info fishfry. I'd imagine the thinner plastic of a kayak wouldn't mute the signal as much as the hull of a boat, righto?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:17 am 

THE ATTENUATION WOULD BE DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL TO THE HULL THICKNESS ---SO THE LOSS WOULD BE A A LOT LESS IN A YAK---MOST DEPTH RECORDERS HAVE THE ABILITY TO MARK FISH DOWN TO 100 FT EVEN SOUNDING THRU THE HULL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:50 am 

Unless your fishing in depths over 30 feet, a fish finder won't do you any good. The cone is too narrow to locate fish, especially at depths back in the creeks/marshes. I only use the fish finders as a depth finder. Great to locate those drop-offs/holes in a creek.

I am in the process of installing a transducer on the inside of my kayak as we speak. I will take photos and post them on the website for those of you interested.

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:57 pm 

Humminbird makes a thru hull transducer mount specific for kayaks and humminbird fish finders, for around 30 bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:48 pm 

Agreed with that. I really only look at depth and I mainly wanted it on the yak for the gps function.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:50 pm 

mjp0506 wrote:
Humminbird makes a thru hull transducer mount specific for kayaks and humminbird fish finders, for around 30 bucks.

Mine cost $0. :smoke:

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:28 pm 

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Your link isn't working properly.

islandspeed2001,
Thank you, for pointing out the link malfunction...I repaired it. :cool:

I cut off a 3" square chunk of the Duct Seal, pressed it onto the floor of my kayak, in the keel and behind the flotation block. Then I took the transducer, pressed it into the Duct Seal...as far as it would go and pushed the edges up and around the transducer to hold it in place and keep air bubbles from getting under it.

I took it out to a local reservoir and tried it out. The only thing that doesn't work properly, is the water temperature and after the kayak's in the water for approx. 30 minutes, it shows an accurate reading.

It's nice to be able to leave the wiring inside the kayak and all I have to pull is the fishfinder screen and the battery.

Outdoorguy57

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:54 am 

I just posted a new thread on how I installed my transducer using Marine Goop. Hope it helps anyone who has never done this installation before.

Hobie Pro Angler 12