Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:36 pm 

Had a blast fishing the surf at Little Talbot a few weeks ago with Mark Tkachik and John Botko (owner The Salty Feather on Beach Blvd). The trio each got a Red. Nothing huge but just great to get out there....what a beautiful place.
BC

Attachments:
P5090220.JPG
P5090220.JPG [ 83.82 KiB | Viewed 1596 times ]
P5090221.JPG
P5090221.JPG [ 81.74 KiB | Viewed 1596 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:45 pm 

Reds on fly in the surf?? AWESOME!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:51 pm 

Sweet :thumbleft:

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:36 am 

That is VERY COOL!!! May have to walk the TWO BLOCKS to the ocean here in Neptune Beach someday soon and see what is out there!!

Mind sharing what fly you all used, Black Clouser....maybe a "black clouser"...??? LOL!!
Thx..JYJ

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:25 am 

JYJ, flies of choice are Striper Swippers, John Botko's Surfin Wooly and Sand Flea flies work when the Pompano are in the surf. All flies can be found at the Salty Feather. I highly recomend John for guided boat trip out there wading the surf. John knows this area and fishery better than anyone. There are a lot of deep holes out there at low tide and there are plenty of sharks and big rays lurking around in close range, not for the faint of heart also very easy to get stranded out there when the tide and current comes up :pale: .
BC

Last edited by Black Clouser on Wed May 25, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 am 

BC....Thanks for all the info, and I might have to contact John B. about a trip!!
JYJ

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:38 am 

Yes, That was a fun trip. Seeing the island disapear as tide came up was a little scary. We seen 2 good sized sharks(10 feet from me), a big stingray, schools of whiting and reds. I did catch that 20 inch Red that John is holding off a sandflea patern. Talk too John about a trip.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:59 am 

When yall are out there, do you sight cast or blind cast into the surf? Everything I ever caught in the surf was from a blind cast.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:50 am 

Hellfighter wrote:
When yall are out there, do you sight cast or blind cast into the surf? Everything I ever caught in the surf was from a blind cast.

Hellfighter,
That particular trip we blind casted more than we sight fished mainly due to the stained water.I have been out there On an ideal day with bright sun and clear water where we stictly sight fished and didn't cast until you saw the fish or their shadows.....way cool . As I mentioned earlier in this post: A word of caution: if you plan on doing this type of wade fishing out on Little Talbot Island you should go with someone familiar with the area and surf. You have a fairly short window out there maybee 3 hours tops and It is very easy to get stuck on a rising tide.... be in tune to your surroundings....large sharks are abundant in that area :pale: . I recomend using a guide the first time. John Botko of The Salty Feather knows this area and this type of fly fishing extremey well.
BC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:52 pm 

Great work guys. :cheers: I presume you are using a sinking line and about a a 6' leader. Thanks for any info. :scratch: :scratch:

Last edited by seajay on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:44 pm 

Black Clouser wrote -
That particular trip we blind casted more than we sight fished mainly due to the stained water.I have been out there On an ideal day with bright sun and clear water where we stictly sight fished and didn't cast until you saw the fish or their shadows.....way cool .

Black Clouser,
Thanks for the reply. You are right about the tides and conditions. They can be very scary if you are not paying attention.