Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:46 am 

Sheepshead has the texture of crab/lobster and tastes delicious. I wanted to try out something different with sheepshead as so far I have been only frying it. I have been looking for some other recipes and came up with the below which is a combination of multiple suggestions. Lets get started,

Ingredients:
2 Lb sheepshead fillets
1 tbsp salt
1 can Lobster Stock 15oz
1/2 pack Zatarain's extra spicy crab boil dry mix.
1 tbsp Butter
Minced garlic/garlic powder

Step1: Catch a bunch of sheepshead or buy them. Here are a bunch I caught last week.

Step2: Fillet them. Here are the fillets I used for this batch. Sheepshead yields pinkish fillets if you don't bleed it. If you bleed them, this is how they look. All white. Sheepshead has blood line/dark meat on the back of the fillets. Remove as much you can and cut the fillets to bite size pieces.

Step3: Add whole can of Lobster stock, 1 table spoon salt and half pack of crab boil mix to a sauce pan and bring the mixture to boil. As it starts to boil, add the sheepshead cubes to the pan, turn the stove to simmer, cover with lid and cook for ONLY 5 to 7 minutes.
ImageImage

Step4: Remove the pan from the stove away from the heat, let the sauce pan sit still covered and sit for 10 minutes(for the meat to soak a little).
While waiting, melt some butter with minced or powder garlic in microwave.

Step5: Open the pan, take the cubes of meat, dip in butter and enjoy!!!!
After cooking
The serving
Check out how the meat looks. When I said sheepshead has the texture of crab/lobster, I meant it!
Flakes of flavor!!
White and Juicy!
The gourmet shot!:)

Simple but effective way to enjoy sheepshead!

Enjoy!!!!

Arun.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:25 pm 

Hello Arun and THANKS for that recipe....my mouth is watering since it is 12:23 and lunchtime and I have not eaten anything all day....it looks YAMMY!!!

Great quick and easy recipe to follow and ingredients that I normally have in the house....Thanks!!! :thumbright:
JohnYaksJax

PS: I agree with you about the texture of sheepshead...excellent fish!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:37 pm 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Hello Arun and THANKS for that recipe....my mouth is watering since it is 12:23 and lunchtime and I have not eaten anything all day....it looks YAMMY!!!

Great quick and easy recipe to follow and ingredients that I normally have in the house....Thanks!!! :thumbright:
JohnYaksJax

PS: I agree with you about the texture of sheepshead...excellent fish!!

You are welcome John! Sheepshead as we agree is a great tasting fish with flaky and succulent texture. The recipe came out great and It tasted so good that my Wife and daughter were jumping all over it like lions after a successful hunt!

Arun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:15 pm 

Very nice recipe. Thanks for sharing.

...............................................................................................................

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:01 am 

Thanks for putting the time to post this. If I ever catch some sheepshead, I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:28 pm 

ALSO SENT TO ME BY ARUNRAM:

I believe that sheepshead recipe would be best had with the crab shrimp boil seasoning like I posted.

But blackened and fried fish is great with Indian spices. Blackened redfish with Indian spices is a killer recipe. My wife and daughter just love it.

Here is what I do,

Ingredients:
Shaan tandoori chicken masala (packet)
Shaan meat masala (packet)
Ginger and garlic paste (available in bottle)
Lemon (for juice)

Process:Make a paste of equal mixture of the chicken masal and the meat masala with half table spoon ginger garlic paste and half lemon juice. Mix just enough water to make it to a paste consistency. mildly apply the the paste to the redfish fillets (3 sq inch) all around and don't over apply it. Let the applied fillets sit in the refrigerator for about 1 hour (can be used immediately too). Just use enough Ingredients to cover the fillets you have.

Then the usual blackening. Melt some butte in a cast iron skillet and blacken both sides for 2 to 3 minutes and its done! Trust me if you like curry flavor, you would love this recipe!

Let me know how is tastes when you try it.
For the ingredients, you can get them all at any Indian store. Give me your location and I can tell you which Indian store is closest to you.
regards,
Arun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:45 pm 

Wow them are some nice fish! Where about did You catch them? When I was stationed in New Orleans some of the people there would wrap them in cheese cloth and boil them in crab boil seasoning and some times right along with their crabs,crawl fish, and shrimp. They were not to popular there which might of been because you could keep 5 reds and 25 trout per person. I would load up on them. I don't think they had a limit on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:37 am 

Here is another one:

Spicy Sheepshead Nuggets

2 lb sheepshead fillets, cut into bite-sized chunks
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup beer
3 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons salt, divided
2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
3 cups fine yellow corn flour
vegetable oil

In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs, milk, beer, mustard, Tabasco, and half of the salt and pepper. Place fish in egg mixture, coating well; cover, refrigerate, and let soak for about 1 hour. Mix corn flour with the remaining salt and peppers in a shallow, wide bowl. Preheat oil in deep fryer to about 370 degrees. Remove fish from mixture and dredge with corn flour mixture. Fry fish until the fish nuggets float to the surface and turn golden brown, taking care not to overcook. Place fish nuggets on paper towels to drain. Serves 4-6.
fish tanks