Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nassau River
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:51 am 

Hey guys, I've finally made it to Jax! Well, I've actually been here since July but the new job and all has kept be busy. Anywho, I was wondering if anyone had any info on fishing the Nassau river. More specifically info on put in points and paddling difficulty. I live just 5 min from the bridge that goes over it on main street and I live off of yellow bluff rd so I'm really close to it and would like more info on fishing this pretty body of water but I can't find any info on the net. I still don't have a yak, but another few paychecks and it's as good as mine (Gander Mountain is right down the road :razz: anywho, any info is great!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Nassau River
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:39 pm 

Krazo
Welcome to Jax. I live right down the road from you on Eagle Bend Island. I have been here about a year and love fishing the area. This area in the Nassau River is some of the cleanest and best areas around. I have a canal behind my house that empties into the Nassau River so I haven't really launched anywhere else, but I think that you could launch under that bridge over main street. I know the current can get strong at times. There is also a public boat ramp about 10 minutes away called Wilson Neck boat ramp. Here is the address 85006 Faye Rd.
Yulee, FL 32097. I drove by there a couple weeks ago to check it out and if you look at sattellite images it looks like there may be some good spots there, and a nice dock to launch from. I wouldn't mind trying it myself sometime. I have an extra Yak so maybe sometime we could go fishing if I ever get some spare time. Not sure what type of yak you are looking for,but I may be selling an Emotion stealth that is like new. Again welcome and let me know If you need any more info. You can send me a PM if you need.

Josh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 pm 

Welcome krazo84! If you live on/near Yellow Bluff road, you are quite close to a couple of good launches, though they are not on the Nassau R. Click on the "Fishing Spots" link at the top of the page and look for:
1. Horseshoe Creek
2. Pumpkin Hill Creek (If you like a looooong paddle, you can reach the Nassau River from here...)

As for fishing the Nassau River, there are not that many easy launches directly to it. If you venture up to Nassau county and travel south on Nassauville Road, there are 2 ramps:
1. Goffinsville Park -- launches directly into south end of Nassau River -- but WATCH THE CURRENTS HERE. Also, beware of boat traffic.
2. Christopher Creek ramp -- all the way at the south end of Nassauville Road. This little creek feeds into the Nassau River.

Have fun, be safe, and wear your PFD! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:12 am 

I live in the cape which is off starrett rd. And i have access to mink creek which is my back yard and runs all the way out to nassua river. But i never go that far would be alot of paddleing. There is alot of untouched fishing out here i love it not much shell bars but alot of docks. Im always looking for fellow kayakers to go out fishing with just let me know and we could set something up. Or there is horse shoe alot of shells around there. It is good red fishing but it gets hit hard by the locals.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:52 am 

Wow, thanks for all the help guys, nice to know I'm not the only northsider on here. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:34 am 

I also live in that area (New Berlin/Yellow Bluff), been out in Horseshoe and Pumpkin Hill, with the weather warming up I'm itching to get out again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:37 pm 

DropShot wrote:
Welcome krazo84! If you live on/near Yellow Bluff road, you are quite close to a couple of good launches, though they are not on the Nassau R. Click on the "Fishing Spots" link at the top of the page and look for:
1. Horseshoe Creek
2. Pumpkin Hill Creek (If you like a looooong paddle, you can reach the Nassau River from here...)

As for fishing the Nassau River, there are not that many easy launches directly to it. If you venture up to Nassau county and travel south on Nassauville Road, there are 2 ramps:
1. Goffinsville Park -- launches directly into south end of Nassau River -- but WATCH THE CURRENTS HERE. Also, beware of boat traffic.
2. Christopher Creek ramp -- all the way at the south end of Nassauville Road. This little creek feeds into the Nassau River.

Have fun, be safe, and wear your PFD! :D

Is Christopher Creek ramp also called Holly Point? I put in there today and the current was very swift. I also didn't catch any fish.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:27 pm 

I have found that the fishing is always slow in this creek/river. However, if you go up towards the RR bridge, it gets much better.

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:05 pm 

GoTigersGo wrote:
Is Christopher Creek ramp also called Holly Point? I put in there today and the current was very swift. I also didn't catch any fish.

Yup, same spot. And yes, the current can get rather challenging in there.