Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:57 pm 

Well, Since I live south of Jacksonville, I enjoy freshwater fishing when the season closes. So Friday, I decided to go to Lake Sampson. My 70 Yr. young father and I put in at the Trestle Ramp and discovered the wind was too high to get into Lake Sampson with our 14 foot stumpknockers, since the lake was white capping. We decided to take the canal to Rowell lake and try our luck. We did not even get a nibble.
Saturday, we loaded back up and made it out on to Lake Sampson. We had to drag our boats across the sand bar, but we proceeded to go to what is known as the deep water stob. The lake was slick as glass. We dropped anchor and within 30 minutes we had 6 really nice specs (Crappie) in the live well. We decided that was enough to feed the family and left. I spoke to a friend of mine that we left there, and he said he landed 26. All these fish were big enough to fillet. So, while the saltwater season is basically closed, it is a good time to go to some of the local freshwater lakes and re-discover freshwater fishing. BTW, we caught them on live minnow that cost 75 cents a dozen.
It is reported to me that the specs are really biting in Lake Santa Fe, Lake Alto, and Lake Hampton.
So, if you need your fishing fix, the specs are biting really good right now in the 8 foot of water range and they are holding on brush and underwater structure.

Heres the link to the boat ramp; http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=29.9 ... 1&t=h&z=18
Zoom out to see the location as relation to Jacksonville. It is about 45 minutes from Stockton Stree.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:07 pm 

I would not recommend this to anyone but fellow kayakers (as i live there) but Ocean Pond is pretty good for Crappie and is about the same distance from Jax. Just go out I10 until the highway 90 exit (lake city exit) at sanderson, go west on 90 about 7 miles. turn right at the blinking light in Olustee, go on into the park and the boat launch is on your left.