Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:11 pm 

I love kayak fishing. My Emotion Glide is a little small and somewhat wobbly in the water. I wanted something that would add stability and allow me to sit on the stern deck and stretch my legs out or stand up. Here is a materials list that will allow you to build these solid outriggers for around $55 bucks and not $200 bucks. 2 aluminum adjustable flag holders, $6 each. 10ft piece of 1" galvanized steel conduit, $6. 10ft piece 3/4" pvc, $1.85. pvc glue, $3.19, 2eac 3/4" pvc tees, $0.75. 2ea 3/4" end caps, $0.75. 4ea 6"x14" lobster buoys from Hamilton marine, $4.99 each plus shipping, $35. 4ea hitch pins. Here are the pics of it installed. Its pretty much self explanitory how it all goes together. You will have to figure out what works with your kayak but this will work with any kayak. This took me 3 hours to figure out where to mount it and get it all assembled. I weigh in at 225lbs and I can stand up in my kayak and sit on the stern deck without submerging the buoys.

In the front of the deck I have a piece of hdpe(cutting board material. $4.50) mounted in the coaming. I installed a small hook in the very front so I could pull the bungee up from the deck and it pulls on it enough that it wont come out. I have a Scotty rod mount and a Hobie rod holder attached to it. Just behind the cockpit I have a Scotty flush mount. This setup works great. I fish in Sacramento and this boat is great for the port of Sacramento where there is no current, and when hooking up to a big striper it helps to have the outriggers.

Attachments:
0112111402a_01.jpeg
0112111402a_01.jpeg [ 34.44 KiB | Viewed 18207 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:21 pm 

Once upon a time I put the Scotty Stabilizers on my Phoenix Hurricane. What I found was the the material wasn't strong enough where I had the stabilizers attached to the kayak. You need a large and heavy "plate" on the inside of your kayak to get rid of all the give and take. I finally just gave up, sold the stabilizers and bought a Hobie Outback that I could stand in :smoke:

Otherwise, looks like you have put lots of thought into these.

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:45 pm 

Yeah i forgot to mention that i have some 1/4" hdpe backing flanges underneath. It is solid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 pm 

I have an update on this design. The flag pole brackets have teeth in them that limit the adjustability. what I did was grind down the teeth on both sides of the bracket flat and it holds great. Now it has infinite adjustability

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 pm 

How did you connect. The tee fitting to the 1 in conduit. Also where did you get galvanized steel conduit for $6 :?:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:47 pm 

I used hitch pins with the spring safety wire commonly found on trailer hitches to attach all of the piping to the tee's. The galvanized piping is simple electrical conduit from Lowes or Home Depot. I got it in 10' lengths for $6 a piece. This was a first run design for me and it worked pefectly. I do recommend that if you do use the flagpole holders that you grind the locking teeth off and creat a flat surface. This makes an infinite locking surface that does not slip.