Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snook Permit $
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:23 pm 

Wow...
Snook Permit
Last year = $2.50
This year = $10.00 ($10.50 at Walmart)
http://myfwc.com/docs/RulesRegulations/Saltwater_Regs_2010.pdf
Well, at least it'll encourage more "catch and release" of Snook. They really took a beating last winter.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Snook Permit $
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:28 pm 

Consider it money well spent on a good cause or an investment in the future. From the FWC website: "License fees for snook and other saltwater species go directly to FWC research efforts, including monitoring and evaluating the health and status of these fisheries, including during these kinds of unforeseen cold-weather events."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:42 am 

When you reach the ripe old age of 65 is a snook permit still required?
Don't mind purchasing one but I am just asking.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 pm 

Hey SMA...nice to see ya in here!!

I was pretty certain that I was correct when I started to answer: "No" but I wanted to check....??

The way that I read this paragraph, the answer is "No"....I do not need a Snook Stamp, but I think I would need one to "keep" a tarpon, which I would not do anyway:

FROM THE WWW.MYFWC.COM WEBSITE:
Exemptions - Do I need a license or permit?
You do not need a hunting, freshwater fishing or saltwater fishing license or a *Florida waterfowl, deer, turkey, snook, spiny lobster, archery season, crossbow season, muzzle-loading season, deer or management area permit if...

You are a child under 16 years of age. (Also exempt from federal duck stamp requirements.)
You are a Florida resident age 65 or older possessing proof of age and residency or possessing a Resident Senior Citizen Hunting and Fishing Certificate. Residents age 65 or older may obtain, at no cost, complimentary hunting and fishing certificates from county tax collectors' offices.You hunt or freshwater fish in your county of residence on your homestead or the homestead of your spouse or minor child, or if you are a minor child hunting or freshwater fishing on the homestead of your parent.
You are a Florida resident certified as totally and permanently disabled and you possess a Florida Resident Disabled Person Hunting and Fishing Certificate.
You are a resident who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, you are not stationed in this state, and you are home on leave for 30 days or less, upon submission of orders.
Effective Aug. 1, 2009 - You are a resident who is fishing with live or natural bait, using poles or lines that are not equipped with a fishing-line-retrieval mechanism, and you are fishing for noncommercial purposes in your home county. However, you must have a valid fishing license to fish by any method in a fish management area.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 am 

Thanks John. I was not sure but I release Snook anyway.
We need to get together soon and do some fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:55 am 

My pleasure, AL.....and I would like another trip over there once I get my back/hip in better shape!! My last kayak fishing was over at Cedar Key on Sept, 18th, so I am REALLY ready to get back to it...but not yet....

Thx for the offer and I'll let you know!!
John