Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:10 pm 

Do the fiddler crab work for redfish?
I went to Siters Creek and tried a spoot I found two weeks ago.
At low tide the reds were digging the mud all over the place. I saw their head stickicking out of the water.
I did not have any live or natural bait today. So I threw DOA Shrimp , Grub, and Gulp Shrimp. None of those reds were intersted in my lures.
Two wees ago I was there and tried mud minnow and the DOA Shrimp. No red was interested....

I wonder what the reds were gorging on there... Do you think they were eating fiddler crab?
Or simply shrimp?

I wonder if I can use fiddler crab as a bait of choice. I know thar the fiddlers are popular for sheepshead fishing. But, the reds may like the fiddlers crab too....

Wtat kind of lures are effective for reds in the shallow water?

Can you advice?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm 

Redfish LOVE fiddler crabs the way a kid loves Halloween candy. Try putting 2 or 3 fiddlers at a time on a jig head, toss it out to a likely spot and wait for the fun to begin. JohnYaksJax calls this method the "crab-kabob." :D It can be highly effective for reds, black drum, and sheepshead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:45 am 

I have caught a bunch of reds on fiddler crabs. The larger fiddlers with the big orange claw always seemed to work the best but of course they are harder to catch as they live on mud banks in the marsh...

Craig

Quantum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:55 am 

I was out at Browns creek Saturday and had the same experience. Reds everywhere but could not get them to bite. I have caught a fair number of reds on fiddlers. I like a small hook like a #1 and a small sinker with a long leader. Throw past them on the mud bank and drag it by. Be ready to set the hook fast to keep them from swallowing it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:14 pm 

Thanks to DropShot for mentioning the "Krab Kabob" method, and he said it perfectly...they catch fish!!!
Thx Mark.....JYJ

PS: This was a "Shrimp and Krab Kabob" that produced about 10 keeper black drum that day!! All released tho...LOL!!

Attachments:
File comment: Krab Kabob!!
Fishing with Mudfish plus Three - Feb. 28, 2010 014 (Small).jpg
Fishing with Mudfish plus Three - Feb. 28, 2010 014 (Small).jpg [ 40.64 KiB | Viewed 3340 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:53 pm 

Besides Fiddlers, they also love large Mole crabs, also known as Sand Fleas.
I've caught some of my biggest reds with them.
Next time you get to the beach, and the Sand Fleas are in, get a bucket full.

I like to blanch them then freeze, last a long time that way.

I was banned from JaxKayakFishing for being a jerk and saying ugly things about people I've never met. I'm an uncivil fool who is a know-it-all and like hanging around people like myself. So I am thrilled to have finally been shown the door as I worked hard to find it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:54 am 

Thank you so much of the feedback. I will get the fiddler crab or sand flea this weekend for redfishing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:56 am 

Hey Jason....the best hook that I have found for the "Krab Kabobs" is the Owner Sledhead with the "Scew Lock" device...it helps hold the fiddlers on the hook so they do not get sucked off the hook as easily by sheepies!!

http://www.amazon.com/Sled-Head-trade-S ... head+hooks

The longer shank on the hook lets your put on normally 3-4 fiddlers...hence the nickname Krab Kabobs!!!

It is also great for fishing plastics or lures like the FishBites or Gulp products.
JohnYaksJax

Last edited by JohnYaksJax on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 pm 

Catching low tide backing reds on artificials is as easy as 3.14

The trick to it is to watch the fish for a minute to figure out what general direction he is heading, then plop your lure directly in his path no more than 2 feet in front, but not less than a foot in front unless you are fly casting a really light fly.

Don't swim or hop the lure, just wiggle it. It's the same technique as shakey head bass worms but instead of a shakey head use a DOA shrimp or other lightly weighted jerkbait.

No need for live bait :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:34 pm 

Its funny you are discussing if a red will eat a crab. But since you are>>>>>>>>>>Throw a fiddler on a 2/0 short shank live bait hook and it will get snatched. A pinch weight will do fine for weight just adjust to the current. The crab Ka-bob has got to work(even though I have never used it). I love the shrimp plus crab combo. Maybe you should add a piece of filet mignon and the neighbors would come out!

I use them because they work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:55 pm 

Try a fiddler or two under a float rig in areas where there are lots of submerged oysters. Adjust the length of your leader to keep the bait just above the oysters without getting hung. I've caught reds and black drum using this technique.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:23 pm 

Here is a little jig I make for fishing fiddlers. All you need is a hook, splitshot and some 40# mono. I used green for the photo where I normally use clear.
This jig hangs far less than most and costs far less than most.

Catch fiddlers by running a spoon down next to their hole and popping them out. Even the big ones seldom pinch if you are fast. Keep them overnight in wet Spanish Moss. Don't overcrowd them. You will need to keep them cool in ths summer.

I fish Mud minnows on the same jig.

Yep, Redfish candy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:59 pm 

Two images show the same fish. It was caught at the spot in Sisters Creek I mentioned above with fiddler crab on a jighead. It was 24 inches long. :D
Also I had another bite before I caught this. But, it cut off my leader close to jighead. :(

I wish to catch the fish with a lure. But, I don't complain. I am so glad that eventually I caught a red there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:57 pm 

Nice red, Jason! WTG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:36 pm 

I'm new to the kayak fishing world but I'm loving it. How do you hook the fiddlers? I caught a few last time I was out and when I hooked them through the abdomen, the crab broke into pieces. These guys were pretty small. Any suggestions?