Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FWC field reports
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:20 pm 

I had a slow day at work on Tuesday and perused some of the law enforcement reports on the myfwc.com site. There are some very interesting tales there, and more than a few are about kayaks. Here's one notable one:

Lieutenant Fred Rondeau and Captain Chris Roszkowiak were on water patrol in the Silver Glen area and observed an individual in a kayak that capsized. The subject could not get back into the kayak and several empty beer cans floated out of the vessel. Lieutenant Rondeau conducted a boating under the influence investigation and had the man perform some field sobriety tasks. It was determined the man was impaired and was arrested for boating under the influence. His breath result was 0.175 BrAC. (I'm guessing some deep water rescue practice and securing the beer cans could have avoided this one. Or maybe drinking a bit less..)

Another was about a kayaker who had concealed a Goliath grouper under the hatch of his yak and got busted when he came ashore from the surf. (Holy Cow!)

Anyway, there is some interesting reading there and it makes it clear that everyone should know the bag and size limits for catches. Those guys and gals are watching! One recurring theme I noticed in the reports was that the officers are very suspicious of folks who catch fish and don't measure them before putting them into coolers or buckets. That's a huge red flag to get your catch checked.

Don

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: FWC field reports
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:32 am 

Glad to hear they are on the water. The more officers on patrol the better !!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:25 pm 

Thanks for sharing man, It is unfortunate that we even need them but we all know there is a HUGE need for them. It makes me sick to launch from some area landings with fishing piers with people out there fishing with buckets and coolers full of well who knows how many undersized trout, reds, etc.. They of course don't show me because I have the 1-800 number that is on the back of my fishing liscense on speed dial. Not FWC's fault they are undermanned and overworked but I often wonder if at the height of the bull red run in the river and the summer fishing season if they patroled the piers doubled up on the boats catching the big reds if they couldn't actually fund another couple of officers with the fines they could potentially give out. Just a thought.

Chappy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:24 pm 

I hope my post wasn't taken the wrong way. I fully support the officers who are out there enforcing the laws, and I agree we need more of them. Those of us who obey the regulations appreciate all they do to keep us safe and keep the fisheries productive for all of us.

I have a great friend who has the "only break one law at the time" rule. You know.. if you are speeding, don't have an open container. If you have a warrant out for your arrest, have a fishing license on your person when fishing. It's amazing how many people get busted while fishing without a license when the FWC officers run their names and find outstanding warrants.

There you go.

Don