Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:07 am 

Many of the fish I see caught here look too large for a small cooler that would fit safely on my kayak. And I do not have any hatches.

When you catch a door mat flounder or a big red, how do you store it. Do you carry plastic bags and put ice in them or what.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:33 am 

publix sells cooler bags that come in different sizes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:10 pm 

Soft-sided collapsable coolers are the way to go.

Perception Sport Access 11.5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:49 pm 

Well Since the ole man is sleeping(Island "speed" Jerry) on his job I'll anwer this one for ya. I've got a bigger Polar Bear Cooler that is sold with the website logo on it, It works great and last a long time. It's been almost three years and it has held many fish and it is still well worth the money I spent on it. It will hold a frozen two litter coke bottle for a full day of fishing in this heat and then some. Over a two year period storing everything from snapper to 8 pound sheepies to 26 inch reds I've pokes some holes in the liner of it but it still works great with the two litter bottles for ice. I can't store loose ice cause it makes my bag to heave to carry but that is two years of use. I'm sure there are many other products like it but these coolers are TRULY SUPPORTIVE our our humble little sport of KAYAK FISHING!! There presents and support are evident through the special offers they make throughout the year (two for ones at Christmas time) and they are at all the Charity Fishing Tournaments Donating to the cause. A great Product and works and lasts a long time. I'm not on the Polar Bear Fishing team and not endorsed either just a great product that I actually use often!!!!

Chappy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:14 pm 

I have one of these and it is perfect for fishing in the yak. It is 40" long which is more than i needed but it will fold in half with no problems. It is soft and flexible so it will fit in small spaces if you need it to. I don't use loose ice either as the bag is a zipper design and the ice will melt and leak. either use the reusable gel packs of a few frozen water bottles. The bag has pockets in it to hold the ice bags so they stay put. I have had a 26" red and four flounder in it and there was still plenty of room for more if I wanted (or had been able to catch more flounder :scratch: )

http://www.kingfishzone.com/general/fis ... t-bait-bag

west marine had them at one point but i know strike zone usually has them

Red Heritage Redfish 14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:12 pm 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz Thank you Chappy. They are the perfect cooler for those slot fish. Most folks use the 24 Pack.

We are donating PB's as the Capt. Bags for the Championship Division at the upcoming IWDI Tournanment. Worth more than the registration fee!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:16 pm 

Jerry how do we register is the champions the same as general ...looks like a good cause ....
Woody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:10 pm 

Not to hi-jack this thread..... You must have placed 1-2 or 3rd in one of the identified tournaments to be in Championship Div. General Div is available to all others.

Meanwhile.... Back to the orig question about storing fish. PB's are the way to go!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:06 am 

"FISH CONDOMS".....LOL!!!
("DropShot" coined that name for my method of keeping fish.....)

Next time you are in any bank or public building...or even a Publix, look for the rack of plastic umbrella bags near the doors. Grab a handful of the GOLF Umbrella sized ones and take several with you kayaking.

Catch a fish....slip it into the "condom"....squeeze out the air which also keeps the fins down flat....and tie a knot in the end of it.....and THEN, put the fish into your cooler or the WONDERFUL soft-sided Polar Bear coolers that many of us own!!!

No mess and no slime on your "beverages" and lunch....
Also, NO TROLLING for sharks or alligators on a stringer!!
JohnYaksJax

Attachments:
File comment: This Polar Bear cooler has over 400 trips on it...and NO leaks yet!!
Polar Bear Coolers for AKF 001 (Small).jpg
Polar Bear Coolers for AKF 001 (Small).jpg [ 54.46 KiB | Viewed 3868 times ]
File comment: 18" Flattie in a "Fish Condom"
Heckscher - August 2, 20008 006 (Small).jpg
Heckscher - August 2, 20008 006 (Small).jpg [ 51.02 KiB | Viewed 3870 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:57 pm 

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: "Practice safe catch!" :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:04 pm 

JYJ has the "Polar Beer" model.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:00 pm 

I have two PB coolers and love them so much I don't want to put fish in them. (Usually not a problem.) I have given them for Christmas presents the last couple of years and they are a big hit for the hard to buy for. Everyone I have gifted with them raves about them.

I pick up some of JYJ's fish condoms whenever I pass them at the stores, and the Dollar Tree has the same silver frozen food bags that Wally World sells, only they are a buck. I keep some 1/2 liter bottles of ice in the cooler and when I catch a keeper I pop it into a fish condom and put it and a bottle of ice in the silver bag, and stow it under the hatch. It works well for me, and I don't slime up my PB or risk punching fin holes in the liner.

Just my .02 worth.

Don

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:47 pm 

Olustee bus wrote:
Many of the fish I see caught here look too large for a small cooler that would fit safely on my kayak. And I do not have any hatches.

When you catch a door mat flounder or a big red, how do you store it. Do you carry plastic bags and put ice in them or what.

Here is your answer to your question, I have been a SPONSOR of the Jax's Classic for the past 3 years with the Kayak Fish Bag. They are a soft sided Water Proof Nylon bag that raises up 7 inches, has more room then a 48 qt igloo, yet it lays flat. you can see more at http://www.creativefeathers.com under fish bag.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:55 pm 

Connie, where the heck you been? I was getting ready to start checking the OB's in the paper each morning. :D CreativeFeathers make a great cooler if your looking for a big fish cooler.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:06 pm 

Nope staying out of the OB's on purpose. Things here are great. I am picking up a new line from http://www.eliesport.com/products/sport ... ayaks.html. Its there high end poly line up SOT's. I really like the way they are made and the price is right also.