Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:55 pm 

i'm from atlanta, ga and we will be heading to santa rosa beach (ocean side) near destin, fl for the weekend. are there any good fishing spots around there? this will be my first time fishing the coastal water down there. we will be there sat - mon and i'm hoping to catch some good fish--any help would be appreciated!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:23 pm 

Hey Willy...Thanks for becoming a member in JKF and thanks for the post!!

I have NEVER been out that far West fishing, so sorry that I had no info for you...
Know you are leaving today probably, and did a "Search" for you on here, but go NO HITS!!

Went to the FCKA site that JSuber runs which covers the area east of where you are going...Carabelle and Panacea, FL and others, and I did find two hits on there:

http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/search.php?k ... mit=Search

Also, this group might be able to help:

http://www.gulfcoastkayakfishing.com/default.asp

Hope that link to their site works....you could "join" there and post a quick question for them too!! Sorry....JohnYaksJax
PS: Send a PM or an email to "JSuber" in here and he should be able to re-direct you!!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:35 pm 

I just posted on this thread topic22084.html with another member heading to Destin as well as other posts.

I am from that area originally, Navarre Beach which is all in the Destin, FWB area. Unfortunately, the Navarre Pier is not open yet, the opening day is next Saturday, June 5... I am heading that way for the weekend as well and was hoping to get back out on the pier. Luckily though there is Okaloosa's pier which is b/w Navarre and Destin http://www.okaloosaislandpier.com/

This one will be great as you won't need any additional licenses to fish. Florida requires a saltwater license even for just fishing from the shore. Its $17.00 for a 3 day pass. But you won't need one if you do a charter boat or from the pier as they have one for the structure/boat.

What kind of fishing did you plan to try? The inshore fishing for reds/trout etc is great near the Destin Pass into Choctaw Bay. And with the oil spill, I'm not sure what the offshore fishing is like for those guys right now, but I've done several party boat charters out of Destin as well if you are into catching triggerfish, mingos, etc. Red snapper season won't open until Tuesday.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:15 pm 

thanks for the quick replies! we'll be leaving right when i get off work today, around 6p...so we should be at the condo sometime around 12a tonight.

i'm planning on fishing from the shore. i was going to take my yak down but i didnt feel great about strapping her on for that amount of time...plus the wife wouldn't be too excited about me fishing the whole weekend.

i'm not sure what i'm expecting to fish down there...it'll be my first time on the coast there so i'm just going to try for anything. a few of my buddies are hitting up st. andrews, so if i dont do well where we're at, i'll probably make the drive there since they've been telling me that the fishing there is real good.

thanks for all your help and for welcoming me to your online community!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:27 pm 

Hey....I just got this on FB from JSuber:

""For that they should visit gulfcooastkayakfishing or mbkfa"

Check 'em out....and hopefully you will find some recent info!!
Catch 'em up!!!
JohnYaksJax

PS: What part of ATL??? Know it pretty well....
PS2: Have a safe trip and catch some fish!!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:29 pm 

Yes, I've been to St. Andrews a couple times before, the park is beautful! An awesome place to snorkel, camp, and fishing from the jetties is also good. I haven't been there in years so hopefully its still like I remember.

If you will be fishing from the shore, surf rods rigged with sand fleas will be great for pompano in the Santa Rosa Island areas. If the weather holds out, I'm hoping to take my yak near the foot of the bridge that connects Destin to Santa Rosa Island to fish off the Coast Guard station in the bay. There is a little beach pull off on the west side of the bridge to park and launch.

I hope you enjoy west Florida!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:05 pm 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Hey....I just got this on FB from JSuber:

""For that they should visit gulfcooastkayakfishing or mbkfa"

Check 'em out....and hopefully you will find some recent info!!
Catch 'em up!!!
JohnYaksJax

PS: What part of ATL??? Know it pretty well....
PS2: Have a safe trip and catch some fish!!

jyj, thanks for going thru the extra work to find that info out for me! i'll chk out their site shortly. i'm from stone mountain and usually fish the park, hooch, oconee, varner and lanier. thanks again!

clbelling wrote:
Yes, I've been to St. Andrews a couple times before, the park is beautful! An awesome place to snorkel, camp, and fishing from the jetties is also good. I haven't been there in years so hopefully its still like I remember.

If you will be fishing from the shore, surf rods rigged with sand fleas will be great for pompano in the Santa Rosa Island areas. If the weather holds out, I'm hoping to take my yak near the foot of the bridge that connects Destin to Santa Rosa Island to fish off the Coast Guard station in the bay. There is a little beach pull off on the west side of the bridge to park and launch.

I hope you enjoy west Florida!

clb, thanks for the advice. looking forward to what the gulf has in store.