Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:15 pm 

I recently bought my first Kayak, a Seacret by wilderness systems, an older model sit in kayak with a weight capacity of 375lbs. Unfortunately I didn't realize how troublesome fishing from it would be. I'm considering selling it because I got it for 325$ and think I could easily get 400$ for it. I think a sit on top kayak would be the best option for me. My question is im a big guy, 6'1 320lbs with a big frame and size 15 shoes lol so my current kayak is a bit tight..would a sit on top kayak be able to handle my size and say 50lbs of gear (max)? I'm currently slimming down lol but would still like the kayak to be able to handle about 350lbs.

So list of questions-
What is a typical weight capacity for a sit on top kayak? I need it to be around 350lbs.
What kind of price range for a used sit on top kayak? (brand suggestions?) I would love to find one for the same price range of my current kayak (325-400$ used)
main differences between a sit in and sit on
Help!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:43 pm 

I have a Cobra Fish N Dive and its a good sturdy boat with a large capacity. Think they are around 900 new....Go to All Wet and you can rent one cheap to try it out...

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:47 pm 

Peter,

With your size you definitely need a big guy yak. For me, the top of the line would be a Phoenix 160 if you could find one. After that it's a toss up between all the others, OK Big Game, OK Drifter, Malibu XFactor, Cobra Fish n Dive...

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:13 pm 

Hey BNZ...Dunno where you are coming from on your recommendation for the Phoenix 160 (except that you own a couple!!) but the manufacturer says that the Rated Capicity is only 350#

http://www.hurricaneaquasports.com/phoenix160.html

That would be "marginal" at best for PeterMusante, and would not be a very good choice!!
JYJ

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:39 am 

Peter,
Good luck. I'm also looking for a big guy yak. Right now I'm looking for a OK big game, malibu x factor, and considering a OK trident 15. All of those have a capacity of 500+ pounds. My understanding is the kayak may be rated to 350 but that only means it will float. Doesn't mean your cockpit will be dry and stability decreases the closer you get to maxing it out. I've been watching this forum and two more along with craigs list and the cheapest I've seen a big guy kayak go for is 550. It lasted no longer than an hour because it was sold when I called. If you weighed 150-200 you could shop hard and find something in the price range you mentioned but I haven't seen it on the bigger ones.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 am 

IMO here are the true big guy options. Malibu XFactor, Stealth, or Extreme, Cobra Marauder or Fish&Dive, OK Big Game or Trident 15.

Eric you are right on the money, especially regarding buoyancy ratings. A 350-400lb rated yak aint enough for someone 250+ unless you want to swim it rather than paddle it.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:56 am 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Hey BNZ...Dunno where you are coming from on your recommendation for the Phoenix 160 (except that you own a couple!!) but the manufacturer says that the Rated Capicity is only 350#

http://www.hurricaneaquasports.com/phoenix160.html

That would be "marginal" at best for PeterMusante, and would not be a very good choice!!
JYJ

John, the proof is in the pudding....

This guy is 6'-5" tall and weighs 300 lbs. Just look at how much freeboard the kayak has. ;) Hurricane also says the P160 only weighs 57 lbs. I can assure you that isn't the case. My P160 weighs more than my 65 lb Tarpon 160i did. I stand by what I said, the P160 would be at the top of the big guy list in my opinion, unless one wanted to settle for a slow moving barge. :)

Oh yeah, don't forget about the Perception Search 15 either...

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:43 pm 

At 280ish, I loved paddling my Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 and had lots of freeboard, also had lots of water in the yak with me......Switched to the malibu X Factor and could not be happier.....harder to paddle for sure, but worth the trade off.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:33 am 

Like the above poster, I am 6'5" and 250lbs. I was thinking about buying the 15 foot Trident Prowler but bought the 13. The 13 is rated to 425-475, which is plenty for me plus gear. I don't care if I have a wet butt. It is warm enough here that it doesn't bother me. When it is cold enough I wear my Gortex chest waders and Gortex paddling jacket.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:41 am 

I don't Know how they come up with those bouyancy ratings but I have a Pellican 11.6 which is rated at 350 lbs.
I weigh in at around 240.
Another 110 lbs on board.......I don' think so. :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:52 pm 

I'm 6'6" ~320lbs and I love my X-Factor... I've never been uncomfortable in it and I've even stood in it a couple of times and didn't flip... Very stable yak...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:30 pm 

when my weight started interfering with fishin and the other fword that I enjoy I lost some weight. Before that I added a malibu extreme to my fleet (WS ride 135) which is rated to 600 pounds.