Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:58 pm 

Does anyone know how much a kayak can extend out of the bed of the truck legally? I've always used a 4' rule of thumb and placed a red flag at the end. I have not been able to find a Florida or D.O.T. statute that addresses the issue. :study:

Now I'm considering a longer kayak. Using the truck bed extender will hold the kayak firmly enough, but I'm wondering about the legal issue, especially if transporting the kayak on the interstate during non, daylight hours. :scratch:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:03 pm 

Did the old "Search" routine on "tailgate" and found this post:

topic14469.html?hilit=tailgate

There were several others too that address this subject!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:06 pm 

Thanks, John, but I did several searches here and on the internet, including Stat of Florida and D.O.T sites before posting and did not find the answer.

The post you linked to does not refer to the legality of a load extending beyond the bed or tailgate, only the length of the tailgate extender.

I'm specifically interested in what the laws are regarding the subject. I'm not even sure if there is a specific law that addresses the matter, just trying to be properly educated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:43 pm 

FL 316.228 Lamps or Flags on Projecting Loads

(2)...There shall be displayed at all other times on any vehicle having a load which extends beyond its sides or more than 4 feet beyond its rear, red flags, not less than 12 inches square, marking the extremities of such load, at each point where a lamp would otherwise be required by this section.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:03 pm 

GLyncker.....Sorry...I did not read the full content on that one but I knew it "addressed" the subject..

Ya know, I have followed thousands of posts on here, and I have NEVER seen one that dealt with the MAXIMUM LENGTH that can extend from the truck bed.....????

Morgorin was kind enuff to post that "minumum" amount where you must have a red flag of some type.....but doesn't there HAVE TO BE A MAXIMUM???
(You would not think a telephone pole sticking out of a pickup truck bed would be legal would you??? :shock: )

Also, in daylight or dark, I would spend a couple of bucks on one of those LED red blinking lites that you see on bicycles...they are good attention getters!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:14 pm 

John, you hit the nail on the head!

You would think there would be a maximum length limit, but I have come up empty on the search. The bed on my quad cab is only 66". With the tailgate and a bed extender, I'm still only about 8'.

As a result, I may wind up with a truck rack to avoid the issue all together, but it's become more a matter of curiosity/obsession with finding the answer. Common sense probably dictates a maximum length based on the stability of the load, but common sense and the law don't always go hand in hand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:38 pm 

GLyncker.....EXACTLY!!! I have to run out for a couple of hours, but I wanna know this too!!

We do have several law enforcement officers in here from city, county and state agencies, so hopefully one of them will see this soon and provide us some guidance!!
BRB....JYJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:48 pm 

to be even safer you could always get a trailer light and fix it to the tip of the kayak so you had a running and a brake light on the end of the kayak and then it is considered part of the vehicle. just plug it into the trailer light hookup and be done.

Red Heritage Redfish 14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:47 am 

The Light that plugs into the trailer wiring is a good idea! I have never heard of a Max length either?? I would like to know though cuz i have an s-10 and if i ever get a bigger yak it would stick way out!! At U-Haul we have some lights that are made for towing a car thst come with these little plastic lips that sit inside the truck of the car your pulling that could easily be modified to hang from the handle of a yak!! If any one is interested let me know and ill post some pics.

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:34 pm 

I carry 17 and 18 foot kayaks regularly in a 6 foot pickup bed, with bed extender.
I put a red flag on the rudder and go. I have been carrying them this way for years, and have had the PoPo behind me on more than one occasion, as well as gone past many a weigh station with DOT officers on the prowl.

I have put thousands of road miles on the truck with this setup, no worries. :D

I was banned from JaxKayakFishing for being a jerk and saying ugly things about people I've never met. I'm an uncivil fool who is a know-it-all and like hanging around people like myself. So I am thrilled to have finally been shown the door as I worked hard to find it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 am 

Sorry, I misread the question. I went back to the statutes (part of my job):

316.515 discusses length of loads and vehicles. The only thing close I could find is a reference to length of load is several references to a load being able to extend up to 6' past the trailer. If you're hauling trees, apparently it's 10' but the portion hanging off has to be wrapped. (4) states the load cannot project more than 3' in front of the vehicle.

316.516 deals with the penalties for violation of width, length and weight loads and refers back to 316.515: $40 for length exceeded by not more than 2'; $100 for 2+' -10'; and $250 for 10+' plus $250 for every additional foot over 11', with a maximum fine of $1000.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:57 pm 

Thanks for the research Morgorin. I carefully read several of the statutes in 316.xxx, but never found the answer. As you mentioned, 315 really refers to semi trucks and trailers and not pickup trucks.

I suspect there is no specific reference, so properly securing the load for stability and properly flagging/lighting the load are probably more likely to bring attention. As Punisher said, he (plenty of us) has been doing this for a long time without consequence and the suggestion by yakityak with running and brake lights would probably cover driving after dark. Personally, I think I would use two lights, because there were some references in one of the statutes that referred to vehicles after a certain date being required to have two tail lights instead of just one as required by older vehicles. Even the statutes on this were sort of vague.

Thanks everyone for your input. It was interesting research.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:59 pm 

It is a very simple matter to rig a running light and brake light that plugs right in your trailer wiring harness. Lots of ways to attach the light to the end of the yak. I'd imagine I can make the light harness for around 10 bucks.

I plan to drive to Austin, TX to pick up a new yak soon. I'll make up a harness before I go and post a list of materials here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:39 pm 

I got a ticket for not going "slow enough" past a cop who had someone pulled over, he did not say anything about the kayak or cooler sticking out the back. All I do is strap it down and put a red flag on the rudder. I do use a harbor frieght bed extender on the little truck now, just easier to strap it down since I put the rudder on. That and the milkcrate over balance it and made it a PITA to get it in the bed and strapped down while it was teetering, good luck on your quest, John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 am 

Just wanted to add that my son was bringing his Kayak home last month (12'6" Ocean kayak ) in his full size Dodge ram when he was pulled over and "warned" of proper loading requirements. Since he now has a bed extender with a red flag hes never had a problem. Secondly, securing your kayak properly might keep it IN your truck versus sliding out and ruining your fishing day plus the cost of a new kayak. And all of you that have mentioned a brake/running light ran from the kayak into your trailer connector might make a million on a patent. (some of us are old enough to remember the hula hoop lol) and most importantly the driver behind you might not notice a gigantic yellow boat sticking out the back of a truck (my wife is a blonde lol) so when its runs through their windshield ,could cause injury. Sorry to get on the safety bandwagon but i do it for a living. Great fishing everyone!