Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:57 pm 

Does anyone have plans or ideas for making a homemade fly tying bench or station that can be moved around? I am accumulating a lot of fly tying stuff and I need to organize it better. I enjoy woodworking so I can probably build one if I can find a good plan. Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:02 pm 

You might like what I have set up. A computer station on wheels. There pretty resonable priced too! I got mine for under 100 bucks or like you said build one. As far as material storage...notice the plastic drawers? There Walmart deals. Good luck! :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:03 pm 

Now that you've been tying a while, you probably find you like certain things to be in certain places. Now design a bench around that.

That's what I did for my first tying station. I took some 1x12/4' white laminate shelving material from Lowes and cut it to a length that I found comfortable. Then I edged it in oak moulding (Remove the laminate edging with heat). I then took some 1/2 and 3/4" oak (also from Lowes) and routed out places for my head cement and hooks. Then I drilled holes (lots of holes) for my bobbins, bodkins, etc. I also installed some dowels for holding thread and other spooled items. It's worked great for years now. The shelving material is heavy enough to stay put (with some rubber feet added to protect the table) but still light enough to carry around.

I'd provide a picture but I'm in the middle of moving and my stuff is scattered across two houses.

B.P.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:43 pm 

Thank you for the responses. Rich, I like your setup. It's neat and organized. I decided to build a small table top work station. I have a piece of nice teak wood (I think). It's a beautiful piece of wood that I have cut down. I have added holes and cutouts for bottles, tools, and thread. I'm enjoying building the work station almost as much as tying.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:11 am 

I'm a little slow in getting a picture taken and posted. Here is my work station. I have quite a bit more of material that I put in containers that I keep in the closet. I just don't like goobs of stuff out and laying around.

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:20 am 

Nice set ups fellas! I picked up a very nice oak roll Top desk for a bargain. I try to be very clean but it hard to do though, when you are tying all day.