Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:44 pm 

Several weeks ago when I was cleaning a couple black drum at the Vilano pier, I had an older guy approach me and tell me that what I was doing was illegal. I asked him what he meant, since both fish were clearly legal. He said you CANNOT clean any gamefish (a fish that has size or bag regulations) on a pier. I always clean my fish at the pier so I can discard the carcass and avoid the mess at home. Turns out this guy was right. I found a website with an article some of you may find interesting. You have to love a world where fish cleaning stations exist but you aren't allowed to use them for cleaning legal fish. Being unemployed, you wont catch me cleaning fish at the pier anymore, because I can't afford the fine!

Read for yourself...

http://amelia-island-fishing.com/fishin ... anfish.cfm

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:30 pm 

While I understand the law, I have seen other people say if you take your fishing gear back to the car and then go back to clean the fish, you are ok. Meaning you don't have your fishing gear on you when cleaning the fish. For this same reason, people who fish off boats are allowed to clean fish at docks when they get back and out of the boat. I don't know how true this is though. Like most laws enforced by the FWC, most of it depends on the mood and knowledge of the officer you are dealing with.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:56 pm 

Ive been told personally by a FWC officer its best to take anything you harvest home to clean it. You cant even take the head off a shrimp...................... unless your putting it on a hook..

:scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:55 pm 

Responsible anglers will always spend the most time waxing FWC protocol, learning the laws, and trying to abide by them, no matter how inconvenient (not being able to fillet a fish in the field for instance), while the powers that enforce the law never seem to be around the one's breaking it.

Growing up in NJ, I can recall surf fisherman physically PUNTING Bluefish and Dogfish back into the ocean, or just piling them up on the beach to die, so they can catch more Stripers.
The piers in Key Biscayne and Miami are no better. Talk about a perfect environment for fishing (structure, current, Snook) destroyed by the animals fishing off the pier that have no respect for anything. They're the reason a slot Snook is about as easy to catch as a Unicorn around these parts.
Cleaning your fish at home is a pain, but hopefully, it'll keep a few people from filleting ten under/over-sized Redfish, or bringing home Snook in the spawning season.
...also, there's just something to be said about the sight of bringing home your "kill" intact, for the pack to eat. It's ingrained in our DNA. (it's what I tell my wife anyway, when there's fish scales all over the kitchen). --VJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:19 pm 

I have a friend who is a FWC officer, and I always ask him hypothetical questions like this. Sometimes, even he doesn't know the answer. :shock:
Here is the deal, any fish with a size limit, can't be filleted or cut in half until you hit LAND. You can clean it on the pier, but at the beginning end of the pier that is touching LAND.
You can scale it, you can gut it, you can even cut the fish, to fold it to make it fit in a cooler, but it can not be separated in any way.

I was banned from JaxKayakFishing for being a jerk and saying ugly things about people I've never met. I'm an uncivil fool who is a know-it-all and like hanging around people like myself. So I am thrilled to have finally been shown the door as I worked hard to find it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 am 

This is an interesting thread so I just had to throw in my 2%. It can all get a little like splitting hairs. But I believe the intent and spirit of the law was aimed at transporting. Be it pier to home,boat ramp to home or bridge to home. The point is that it's hard to prove that a fillet was a legal restricted fish.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:30 am 

I'm glad I saw this thread since those rare times I take fish home I clean them near the launch at a station. It sort of makes sense since who knows what you have after it's cleaned and bagged. Years back when we still brought fish back from Canada we had to leave a inch by inch piece of skin and scale on each fillet just in case an officer wanted to check the catch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:56 pm 

I can certainly understand this regulation. Just last week at the boating club ramp, there were two reds that had been haphazardly cleaned and were clearly undersize. I think that someone had cleaned them and then tossed them back, only to have them wash back up on the ramp. What a disgusting waste of an animal.

Tarpon120

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:07 pm 

FWC told us the same years ago. I like to keep decent size black tip shark once in awhile for steaks and normally would clean them immediately so that the uric acid does not have time to set into the meat. I was cleaning it on the jetties and they told us we could not do it their either. If we catch a red or large black drums, my wife will sometimes scale the fish at the water then we clean and gut them when we get home. We recycle all the fish waste in my wife's garden. (The cats in our neighborhood love it)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm 

I have a question. If you read the statute regarding keeping whole fish, snook, it excludes fish that are prepared for immediate consumption. Does this mean if you have a gas grill on the boat and are grilling fillets you are good to go ? 68-b21.003