Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trailer for kayaks?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:11 pm 

so I finally got 2 kayaks :cheers:

Now I am working on a way to transport them. I got a Redfish 12 and a Redfish 14.
If I get a small trailer to pull them on, but not to store them on, what is an ok length to hang them off the back of the trailer?
I don't mean for safety (I know to flag them and such) but I don't want to risk hurting the yaks from the weight off the back. I thought Harbor Freight had one for 150 ( I know they did when I worked there but I guess it went up) but they now have a 40x48 with 12inch tires for 250 or so. I'm pretty sure I could build a "seat" on that for them to both sit on. I'm pretty sure the Redfish 12 would be ok, but the 14 seems like an awful lot would have to hang out the back.

Hmm, I drive a small pickup truck with a flush cap on the bed. Maybe I could build the seat up high enough on the trailer that the front of the kayaks could be further forward and not have to worry about them contacting the bed if I had to make a sharp turn. That would leave about 4' or so off the back of the trailer. too much? Any other suggestions?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: trailer for kayaks?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:33 pm 

KayakAttack wrote:
... I drive a small pickup truck with a flush cap on the bed...

Congrats!
Have you considered a Truck Bed Extender (Harbor Freight, Strike Zone / $25-$50)? I use mine even with the bed cover on, and sometimes with two large (14.5' & 16') yaks loaded with all the gear. It has adjustable height and you can also invert it to make it even taller. Plus, you can use it for other things like hauling lumber, etc... If you have a 2" receiver hitch you can try mine to see if one work for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:52 pm 

I don't have a 2 inch receiver :cry:

I can't use the "inside" of the bed of my truck either. It has stuff built into the bed (thats why I have the flush cap) that would prevent me from sliding the yaks up inside the bed. Otherwise, that would be a good solution. I could probably fix 2 seats on top of the bed for the yaks to sit on, but I have a REALLY small truck. (94 toyota pickup). Its even smaller than the tacoma.

I just ran out and measured the bed. It is 6' 4" long. The 12footer would probably work with the bed extender, but the 14 might still be too long.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:14 pm 

That 40"x48" is a very small trailer to try and fit 2 kayaks......
you have options.

1. search for a used jet ski or small boat trailer and convert it for your kayaks...
2. buy the 48"x96" trailer from harbor freight. (large enough to carry everything :D )
do a google search for "kayak trailer plans" and you will get more ideas........

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4/Wo ... ass011.jpg

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/75339788oTcAIx

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/ ... cn1678.jpg
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/ ... cn1677.jpg
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/ ... CN1646.jpg

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/570430630qiKEog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:37 pm 

I see the 4x8 footer on harbor freights site. Its 299 with the 8 inch wheels. I guess it wouldnt need the 12 inch wheels as I wouldn't be doing any highway traveling with it.

Looks like I am either going to have to sell some extra stuff or find a few side jobs fixing some computers to make money for it. Blasted hobbies are expensive :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:46 pm 

Here you go................ That 40x48 trailer for 2 kayaks...........
The pic is halfway down the page...........
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=9367
(the tongue has been extended)

I guess I was wrong.......... :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:03 pm 

I think you might have only copied part of the link. It doesn't work. which section was it under?

edit - nm, I think I found it. That guy REALLY extended the tongue.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:47 pm 

I think you could use the trailer. Just bolt 4 2X4's to the deck extending far enough to support your yaks out to about 2/3-3/4 the length or so. I have a 5' bed in my Honda Ridgeline and I transport a 15'4" OK prowler in it with just the tailgate down and have ratchet straps holding the kayak securely in the bed with no other support. I do make sure there is a secure rope or strap from the kayak to the bed incase a strap busts loose. It works fine for short runs of 10-15 miles. I also have a HF bed extender but it's getting pretty rusty and I haven't been using it lately. I wouldn't leave my yak hanging out the bed all day on a hot day though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:28 pm 

thanks a ton keastman, that's exactly the experience I was looking for. I was planning on doing it exactly like that, but being new to the kayak thing, wasn't sure if the plastic could take that much being over the edge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:44 am 

8' trailer with 8" wheels (drove it all over, even down to the Keys), 16' and 12' kayaks on it with no tongue extension...

8' HF trailer, 12" wheels, with two 16' kayaks on it with tongue extension...

I like the tongue extension much better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:37 pm 

I have a 5'x8' trailer from Lowes. The rear gate folds to the inside of the trailer. A friend of mine gave me the rails from a double jet ski trailer. So, I bolted three galv. angles across the top of the trailer and mounted the jet ski rails to the galv. angles. I can remove six bolts and the trailer is ready for honey-doos.

Attachment:
trailer2.jpg
trailer2.jpg [ 115.08 KiB | Viewed 9758 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:38 pm 

I have two Kayaks Prowler 13', that have to be hauled to the water like every day. :-) A truck bed extender is my choice. I have three trailors for my construction business. I have a 6x10 open; 5x12 open; 7x15'8 inclosed. These all work fine, but I just don't like leaving them at some of the places I choose to fish, or their just too bulky for the parking area.
You can buy a hitch and weld on 2" pipe and make the bed extender pretty simple. One evening and your their. Not to mention you don't need a tag, ect... on the bed extender. Good luck. Darryl Kinman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:06 am 

Your trailer will have to fit your needs, and everyone has different requirements for the perfect trailer. Pictures "Trailer1" & "Trailer2" are a couple of concepts I found before I built my trailer. Trailer 3 & 4 are what I ended up building. I needed something to haul 2 yaks and provide secure storage for all my equipment, because I do not have a garage to store everything in. I framed out a 4x8 box with 2x4's, closed it in with 3/4" PT plywood, sealed all seams and gaps, and painted it with porch & deck enamel. I attached the box to an old boat trailer frame. The back door is hinged and locks to secure my camping & fishing equipment and supplies.

Attachments:
Trailer1.jpg
Trailer1.jpg [ 10.18 KiB | Viewed 9712 times ]
trailer2.jpg
trailer2.jpg [ 106.03 KiB | Viewed 9712 times ]
trailer3.JPG
trailer3.JPG [ 38.53 KiB | Viewed 9712 times ]
trailer4.JPG
trailer4.JPG [ 55.28 KiB | Viewed 9712 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:31 pm 

This is my trailer that's on the other side of the country :roll:

Mine is a slightly modified small sailboat trailer. All I added were two horizontal bunks made out of treated 2x4's on edge. The trailer gives me the equivalent of a roof rack on a stretch hummer but only a foot and a half off the ground. That long overhang for my Hobie Adventure has not been any problem at all. The picture angle kind of exaggerates it, as it's just a bit more than 3'.

I originally had grand plans to add central uprights and be able to carry 8 kayaks (?). After not using it for 4 months and realizing that I don't have 8 kayaks (yet), I decided to scale it back a bit and return to "keep it simple stupid". So far the most I've carried was 3 yaks from Seattle to Portland (~170 miles) and it trailed and held them fine at highway speeds.I found the trailer (with a small sailboat) from craig's list for less than the Harbor Freight model ($150).

Here's a link to a few more pics and details.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/in ... opic=556.0

I've since acquired another small flat boat trailer down here, but I have not modified it yet. Maybe I'll get a bit more ambitious with that one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:57 am 

It seems that the Truck Bed Extender would be a great one for your truck. Maybe you just need to see it on your truck to make up your mind on it. Anyway congratulations for you.