Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:02 pm 

My brother lives in Jacksonville and had never fished from a kayak. This past Friday I was able to take the day off and get there in time to be at his house when he got home from work. A quick change and we were headed to Pacetti's Marina on Trout Creek right at the CR 13 bridge. Trout Creek runs from the northeast into Palmo Cove on the St. John's.

Pacetti's Marina

There is a public ramp across the creek but it appears a bit steep so we paid $2 and used Pacetti's. In this picture you can see the take out to the other ramp in the upper left corner.

After launching we went under the bridge and headed southwest toward Palmo Cove and the St. John's. You can see the mouth of the creek opening into the cove at the horizon here. I guess compared to the St. John's this is a creek, but in south Georgia we'd definitely call this a river!

Out in the cove we lost the protection of the creek and found it very windy with waves occasionally breaking into the kayak. Scuppers work! It was very different from my 250 acre pond.

And here's our catch of the day caught on a beetle spin!

Unfortunately, I was skunked . . . no, wait, I did catch one. Almost forgot my little minnow! I think a wave knocked him into my cup holder while we were out in the cove.

When we got back to the bridge I used him as bait but there was no interest.

Saturday we were back out. Still very windy as you can see by these flags.

There were more people out fishing, Saturday. Didn't see any other kayaks, though. Everyone we asked said they weren't catching much of anything.

No problem. We were out on the water enjoying a great day and a beautiful river . . . I mean creek!

We found that pulling up in these plants we could quickly collect a few spiders. Too bad they're no good for bait.

Wish I'd remembered to put some sunscreen on my white legs!

There was a great set up on this dock for cleaning fish. Had a sink and everything. Don't think they were interested in sharing, though.

After getting off the water we headed to the Outback Crabshack for a great meal of grilled seafood! The flounder! Oh, the flounder!!

We then headed over to Strike Zone, Blackfly Outfitter and All Wet Sports.

All in all not so great for fishing but a great way to spend the weekend with my brother! Other than my pond this is the only other place I've fished and I found it very interesting. We had a great time!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 pm 

Man with a pic like that it's a good thang ya'll are related! :lolbash:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:30 pm 

Fishing with your Bro - just doesn't get any better. Can't wait for my bro to come down and fish the Classic with me :!:

Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:13 pm 

Nice report and good way of showing others the ease of access on that Launch Site too.

I've been there before myself last year. Picked up one 13" LM Bass right where you picked up that cool looking Red Belly Blue Gill Brim, and caught LOTS of Mud Fish! They put up a really good fight! Try some live Shiners the next time you go. The Mud Fish will hit rubber worms too.

I launched from the Trout River park right across and just to the left of your second picture in the series. That launch is free! Looks like it's a little more weeded in than normal for this time of year. There is a City Boat Ramp access over there but I used the old dilapidated dock you can just make out in your picture across the way. There is a Gazebo and grill for group picnics there as well.

Clue me in a few days before the next time you decide to go there, I'd like to join you. I'll bring some shiners from my retention pond to share on the trip too! Except I'll be there or near by at the Crack of Dawn waiting on you. That's the best feeding time for Bass, Dusk too. :D

J.R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:56 pm 

If you are looking to fish on the other side of the river, there is a public ramp. I think it is calles Palmo boat ramp, if you are going south on 13 it is the first right past outback crab shack, just before buddy boys. I have caught some nice bass near the docks there and there are some holes that are ideal for yaks cause boats can't get to them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:22 pm 

Quake wrote:
Clue me in a few days before the next time you decide to go there, I'd like to join you. I'll bring some shiners from my retention pond to share on the trip too! Except I'll be there or near by at the Crack of Dawn waiting on you. That's the best feeding time for Bass, Dusk too. :D

J.R.

Thanks!

I'll keep that in mind, J.R.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:16 am 

Quake wrote:
LOTS of Mud Fish! They put up a really good fight! Try some live Shiners the next time you go. The Mud Fish will hit rubber worms too.

Quake is absolutely right about the mudfish. Trout Creek is where I earned my name. There are some HUGE mudfish/bowfin in Trout Creek and 6 Mile Creek. Lots of fun to catch. Try Purple or Watermelon plastic worms (the bigger the better) rigged weedless with a small bullet weight. Keep your yak out of the lily pads. Cast as close to the shoreline as possible and work the worm back, bouncing it off the bottom. Be careful, mudfish have teeth and a strong bite. They get pretty big, too.

For largemouth, in addition to plastic worms try a floating soft plastic frog. I use the Ribbit brand. Drag it slowly across the tops of the lily pads, then just let it float for 20 or 30 seconds in the open water before you start reeling again.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:27 am 

Well done :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:40 am 

I live just around the corner in Colee Cove. Six mile is a good creek to yak but on weekends the wake boarders really throw some wakes. Trout creek is better for no wake areas. Your pic with the sign on the dock belongs to the Ringhaver company. That is on their ranch property.