Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:04 am 

I believe it is a sand trout.

Attachments:
Yellow Mouth  Sand Trout 12 27 2008.jpg
Yellow Mouth Sand Trout 12 27 2008.jpg [ 91.49 KiB | Viewed 3345 times ]

Post subject: Trout
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:57 am 

I beleive that is a "yellow mouth Trout" as it is called locally. I don't think we get or maybe seldom get Weakfish this far south. It looks alot like the Trout I catch in the surf fairly often which I have heard called Sandtrout or White Trout. The difference between them is the prominence of the canine teeth. The Weakfish will have teeth similar to the Speckled Trout while the White and Silver Trout's teeth will not be as large. From the size of your fish; it rules out the Silver Trout as they are not reported to be larger than 10 inches. The absence of spots or wavy lines also leads me to think it is a White Trout. It should have made a great dinner as I don't think they are included in the closed season regulations.
Great catch anyway!

Diablo Adios
Sigma Chi-yaker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:12 am 

a yellow mouth trout is a weakfish and that looks like one.

Post subject: Yellow mouth vs Weakfish
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:44 pm 

Mike,
Check this out. I'm not sure if Eric is on this board but he used to be on the FL Surf board all of the time.

There is a difference between the weakfish and the "yellowmouth" trout but that difference may not be determined visually.

Researchers at FWC's Fish and Wildlife Reasearch Institute (formerly Florida Marine Research Institute - FMRI) have recently confirmed the presence of the sand seatrout on Florida's East coast from the St Mary's River through the Jacksonville area down to the Indian River Lagoon. Before this discovery it was thought that the sand seatrout was found only on Florida's west coast. The summary bullet points of an in-house report on a genetic study of the distribution of the weakfish and sand seatrout in Florida are listed below.

1. The geographic and reproductive ranges of weakfish and sand seatrout overlap along the Atlantic coast of north and central Florida.

2. Sand seatrout may be the predominant inshore species of the weakfish / sand seatrout duo in Florida Atlantic estuaries northward to the mouth of the St Johns River.

3. Individuals exhibiting the genetic characteristics of hybrids were identified.

4. Visual identification of these two trout species in the Florida Atlantic, even by experienced biologists, may be tenuous.

I learned from personal communication with the chief scientist on this project that the weakfish of the St Johns River may lose their typical striated color pattern, becoming plain silver colored like the sand seatrout. The hybrid species is also unmarked. Genetics is the only sure way to identify these fish accurately. This poses real potential enforcement problems with regards to bag limits. Please check with FWC Law Enforcement with regards to how they are handling enforcement of the weakfish regs.

Eric Sander
Recreational Fishing Surveys
Fisheries Dependent Monitoring
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute

Diablo Adios
Sigma Chi-yaker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:09 am 

WEAKFISH at Huguenot 3/14/2009.

Attachments:
3 14 2009 Saturday Huguenot fishing trip Weakfish 3.jpg
3 14 2009 Saturday Huguenot fishing trip Weakfish 3.jpg [ 110.24 KiB | Viewed 2905 times ]
3 14 2009 Saturday Huguenot fishing trip Weakfish 2.jpg
3 14 2009 Saturday Huguenot fishing trip Weakfish 2.jpg [ 116.75 KiB | Viewed 2905 times ]
3 14 2009 Saturday Huguenot fishing trip Weakfish.jpg
3 14 2009 Saturday Huguenot fishing trip Weakfish.jpg [ 107.18 KiB | Viewed 2905 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:51 pm 

Good Pics Quake...Yours are Weakfish...The Top Photo is of a Silver or Sand Trout. Weakfish have the Marbled Pattern. "Yellow Mouth Trout" is a Local Name. Down South they call Gator Trout "Yellow Mouths" because the bigger they get, the more Yellow their mouth gets.
I have not yet caught one of those Weakfish :( But have caught many many Silver Trout ( Sand Trout )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:53 pm 

IMO its a Sand Trout at http://www.myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/s ... umsand.htm

Sandtrout

Silvertrout

Spotted Seatrout

Weakfish