Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:02 pm 

I just bought a used '03 Toyota Tacoma [the extended cab not 4 door] and it has the standard 6' bed. I am thinking what is the best way to transport a kayak? I am thinking about the Thule rack? Anyone have any pictures of their Tacoma rigged to haul a yak?

The post on kayak-fishing.com:
http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... ght=tacoma

Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:37 pm 

How big of a kayak are you transporting? I drive an '04 Tacoma with the double cab, so it has a slightly shorter bed than your's. I used one of the Harbor Freight bed extenders for my Tarpon 120, and just zip-tied a red rag to a loop near the back. I'd bought one of the Thule XSporter racks for it, but found it more trouble than it was worth trying to get the thing up that high on my own.

Then I upgraded to the Tarpon 140, and just didn't feel comfortable with that much kayak sticking out the back (it was fine with the hitch extender, I just didn't like it sticking out that far.) So I broke out the XSporter rack again for another try, figured out a way to get the boat up there, and how to tie it down. Works like a champ, and I can carry a lot more gear in the truck bed without worry of it sliding out since the tailgate is left up. I don't have any pictures of the rack with the kayak on it, but I can take one of the rack on the truck if you need to see how it looks.

One thing I did find with the racks and my shorter bed - the front rack can't be dropped down because of the wheel well being too far forward in the bed. If you have some space between the front of the well and the front edge of the bed, you should be alright.

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:38 pm 

Oh yeah - congrats on buying a fine truck! :D

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:56 pm 

GatoRx wrote:
Oh yeah - congrats on buying a fine truck! :D

The kayak will more than likely be a 14' Redfish or Tarpon 140.

Here's the shot of the sweet truck ready for rigging up a yak!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:25 pm 

I will send you a pic tomorrow of toy with bed extender. it works great and did not cost much. I haul 2 yaks

Do you have a hitch?

here is my toy :D

Attachments:
TOY.jpg
TOY.jpg [ 17.98 KiB | Viewed 4527 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:48 am 

I also have a tacoma ext cab. I use a bed extender that that hulls my 15ft eXtreme.
Nice looking truck...4x4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:59 am 

Mine is not a 4x4 but can't speak for Grasshopper. The one I bought does have the 3.4 V6 in it though.

I think I have decided to go with the bed extender from Harbor Freight [on sale right now for 19.99 - holy crap!] and will be installing a Reese Hitch this weekend in preparation.

Now onto purchasing a yak. I figured the first step in aquiring a new [or used] kayak was to make sure I had a way to haul it. So far, love the Tacoma - had a brand new one in 03 then went to a Dodge Ram 1500 [huge mistake] and now back where I started. Could've had a paid off Tacoma by now and then some!

So, anyone out there with a used Heritage Redfish/Marquesas or Tarpon 140 give me a holler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:30 pm 

i have a cap on my tacoma, and just use regular yakima racks which are my prefered brand over thule's, if no cap on the back, think u can get some rack type thing to bring the rear rack bar flush with the roof mounted one if using regular racks, kinda like on work trucks with ladder racks, although my barge of a yak is heavy to lift upthere alone, as posted, seems many have used the harbor freight bed extender with great sucess at relatively low cost, i have been toying with the idea of giving one a try

have seen some people buy cheap trailers from harbor freight and modify them to carry yaks, or take used john boat trailers, and tow from the hitch, wich seems to be viable solution also, as well, less wear and tear on the truck lifting a dripping wet salty and muddy yak on the roof of your new ride

Post subject: Bed Extender
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:52 am 

I actually decided on the Harbor Freight Bed Extender. I took home my first yak a few days ago [Wilderness Ride 135 from Black Creek Outfitters] and the girl rode home VERY well in the bed of my Tacoma. My bed extenders had not arrived yet so I had ratchet straps running through the handle in the front of the bed and fastened to each buckle on the truck, and more straps running through both side handles of the yak on the back buckles of the truck. Tightened those down [not too tight] slapped a flag on the back for safety [although it's a BRIGHT yellow kayak] and away I went.

The yak did NOT BUDGE AN INCH on the whole trip from Jacksonville to G'ville.

This was good, because I almost invested several hundred dollars on a rack before I even TRIED to haul the yak in the bed. And talk about easy to load and unload!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:56 am 

I like the Yakima's. Leaves the bed open to put other stuff and allows you to shut the tail gate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:18 pm 

Nothing is better than a Combat launch out of the back of the truck. Your already loaded, all you do is push it out the back of the truck and fish. No messing around for thirty minutes getting ready to fish. You can use your trusty old pool noodle under the boat, strap it down back end first, and your off.

We have a 140 and 160 i in this truck while crossing the dam at Guana.

Last edited by jsuber on Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:31 pm 

I drive a '96 Tacoma, and I use the Harbor Freight bed extender, with a pool noodle zip tied to the crossbeam. I also have a single bar rack across my roof. Sometimes I tote it high, if I need bed space, but usually I tote it poking out the back. I have an old day glow orange hunting vest which I attach to the stern with a carabiner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:45 pm 

Here's how I do it. Yakima bars on the factory rack, middle and rear are the canoe truck racks by oak orchard, topped off with a mega load warrior by Yakima. I've had a seventeen foot canoe, two kayaks and a Thule luggage carrier on it all the way to the Keys with no problem.

Attachments:
File comment: Nissan, oak orchard, and yakima monstrosity a
Cape Trip 001 (Small).jpg
Cape Trip 001 (Small).jpg [ 69.59 KiB | Viewed 4297 times ]
File comment: Nissan, oak orchard, and yakima monstrosity b
Cape Trip 003 (Small).jpg
Cape Trip 003 (Small).jpg [ 78.7 KiB | Viewed 4297 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:16 am 

[quote="jsuber"]Nothing is better than a Combat launch out of the back of the truck. quote]

That's how I do it - bed extender and combat launch.

At the boat ramp:
Step 1: Attach downrigger ball anchor
Step 2: Remove strap
Step 3: Launch yak
Step 4: Remember to park and lock truck (saw a guy forget this step once and shoved off with the truck still idling on the ramp)
Step 5: Push off