Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trolling motors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:36 pm 

Recently I have seen more and more pictures of kayaks with trolling motors installed. For those of you who have them, is it worth it? Where and how much are kits to do this right? I have a Malibu X Factor and it becomes a chore trying to maneuver and fish at the same time.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:53 pm 

Check out www.bassyaks.com for a kit for the xfactor. GillAgin made his own kit from their design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 pm 

:laughing3: ...and now he's selling it. :D

Quote:
it becomes a chore trying to maneuver and fish at the same time.

All I can say is, pedal power is a wonderful thing. Or maybe it's time for an anchor trolley / stakeout pole... Heck, I probably stake out & fish more than I paddle/pedal and fish anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:20 pm 

Once you get a motor, you'll never go back. I have one of the motorized xfactors for sale on this forum, the one with the bassyaks motor.
The bassyaks kits are $399 for the 30 lb thrust and $499 for the 50lb thrust. On the xfactor, the 50 is overkill in my opinion, as the 30 pushes the yak at just about hull speed (5mph). The 50 might push it a hair faster, but you loose your lower speeds for artificial drifts.
The motor on my xfactor is the first one bassyaks made for the xfactor. We worked together to come up with the bracket, and it works sweet. I can get the motors for you in Florida and install them if needed, at the same cost, without shipping.
There are motors available for several different yaks, most of the popular ones, and there are new ones being added all the time. If you want more info, contact bassyaks or me.
We have complete packages with Kayak and installed motor available as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:24 pm 

oops....forgot a part....you can set up artificial drifts along a shoreline, sandbar, or any other structure, regardless of the wind and current.
You also can fish more efficiently because you don't have to put the paddle down to cast and retreive.
If you like to troll, it makes it easy to troll at a constant speed to control the depth of your baits/lures. Also, if one gets weeded, or you just need to check it, you can still troll your other lines while you reel one in and deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:28 pm 

You lose one very inportant factor with a trolling motor, that is stelth. Thats one of the best parts about having a yak. Just my opinion :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:05 pm 

I disagree. I have been moving along under power, standing on my yak, scouting a mangrove shoreline, and literally run over fish (no damage to the fish). They take off when the bow of the yak is right on top of them. When you're paddling, you're making more noise than you think, even when you're going really slow and thing you're not making a sound, there's water dripping from your paddle, and you're disturbing the water. When you have the trolling motor set at speed 1, which is about 1mph, it makes hardly any noise. I know that there is noise from the motor itself, but it's a constant, not abrupt noises like a paddle. I'm not a scientist, but speaking from experience, I spook no more fish with the motor than paddling, probably less.
If you want the other advantages of the motor (trolling, traveling far distances, etc.), but are woried about stealth, just tilt the motor up when you're trying to be stealthy, and there's no noticeable difference to if you didn't have the motor at all.
Don't get me wrong. The motor is probably not the right thing for everyone. Some people just want to paddle, or not have the extra expense, or have to deal with putting the motor on and off and charging the battery, but it truly improves fishability tremendously. I still go out on my other yaks (Malibu Pro Explorers and XFactor without motor) when it's just for a couple hours, and i'm not going far. But when I'm out for the day, I don't leave home without the bassyaks xfactor.
Up until about a year ago I had thought that a motor defeats the whole purpose of a kayak. But after using one, i have to say that it compliments it and just eliminates some of the disadvantages that kayaks have, without really sacrificing the advantages.
If you have 1 yak, and install the motor, it's just a matter of pulling a pin, and all you're left with is the mount on the stern, which has no effect on the kayaks performance whatsoever.
Just my .02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:47 pm 

How does the extra weight affect the shallow water abilities of the yak? What is the total weight added to the yak?

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:32 pm 

Can you buy just the mount and modify an existing motor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:50 am 

the 30lb thrust motor adds about 20lbs plus the battery. My battery weighs 43 lbs and is 125 amphours which lasts me all day. if you go with a smaller battery it would be lighter.
I mount my battery in the bow of the xfactor, and the kayak remains perfectly balanced with the battery in front and motor in back.
I'm sure the yak draws slightly more, but not really noticeable. I'd say it draws maybe an inch more if that.
I'm always surprised when I'm in shallow water, standing on my yak, and it just seems like i should be bottoming out, but somehow I just always glide right through.
But like with anything, when you add more weight to the yak, it will draw a little more water, depending on the Kayak. on the XFactor the weight doesn't affect draft much because of the large footprint.

Bassyaks doesn't generally sell just the mount anymore, because the conversion is a little tricky, and involves a lot of phone calls with questions,hence a lot of extra time on their part. When they convert the motor, they cut the shaft and reconfigure the controls to be in the cockpit. All those parts need to be sealed, which they do by encapsulating them with resin. If you ask me, you're better off with the complete kit. I'm pretty handy, and I wouldn't want to have to do the conversion myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:14 am 

I agree it's a pain in the butt to cut the shaft and convert everything yourself. I know because I modeled mine after bassyaks because there were no kits available for the Malibu's at the time and they were just starting to design a product to accommodate the Malibu market and I had to build my own. Now that the kits are available I would buy from them to save myself a lot of work and aggravation. On a side note, they need to offer the Minn Kota Riptide model trolling motors that are built for the salt water environment. Hint, Hint, Bassyaks. ;)

Yellow WS Tarpon 140
Key West Stealth with Yamaha 150 VMax HPDI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:12 pm 

Ask and you shall receive. They do convert the saltwater motors as well...just a little more expensive. As a matter of fact, hey recently converted one of the remote contolled trolling motors....quite pricey for those though.
In my opinion, and having talked to the owner of Bassyaks, the way they seal the freshwater motors, they essentially becomesaltwater motors. They encapsulate the controls in resin, as well as pouring resin in the shaft, so no water can get down into it. Also, all other connections are soldered and heatshrinked. The owner has been using his in a saltwater environment daily for some time (i think a couple years now) and has had no problems with it. I think the saltwater motors have a longer warranty, but I don't beleive that the warranty would apply with the modifications, unless it was a manufacturers defect. Even then, they'd probably try to get out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:28 am 

I emailed Bassyaks about a kit for the Cobra Fish and Dive. They responded back no. I have the MK endura 30 already but the side mount is kinda in the way. The hardest thing to do would be creating a mount for the transom. Plus I would like to remote the battery under the fromt hatch then I could eliminate the forward motorcycle battery I have now for my fish finder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:28 am 

I emailed Bassyaks about a kit for the Cobra Fish and Dive. They responded back no. I have the MK endura 30 already but the side mount is kinda in the way. The hardest thing to do would be creating a mount for the transom. Plus I would like to remote the battery under the fromt hatch then I could eliminate the forward motorcycle battery I have now for my fish finder.

Post subject: Bassyaks reply
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:55 pm 

Guys, this is my first post so be gentle,
The reaso for emails not being return is that my provider has changed hands and I have multiple addresses, it's all screwed up. I spend about an hour each morning replying to emails.
Dan , I beleive the motor is quiter than someone slapping the water with the paddle. I've suprized many a couple while crusing the shoreline.
Chris I answered your emails and told you we don't have a kit as of yet, There are veryfew Cobra D&F in my area, I'm always open to someone bringing the kayak up to be used as a mock up boat and I'll waive the labor fees, and you pay for the parts.
kayak-excursions is right, we can use any motor you want but I can't justify $200 for a coat of paint. I use my motor everyday in the salt and there is NO rust, there is some oxidation under the paint nicksnothing a razor blade and a can of paint won't clean up. I've had the motor almost 1 year and have no problems with the conversion.
Something new is that we are going to make the Maximizer an option, for about $100 more it well worth the increase in ride time. Patrick Bradley from No Distractions guide service in Tampa has reported run time up to 10 hours. Our kits are constancely evolving and new kit are being developed daily. Please keep in mind that our standard kits are meant to be removeable and affordable.
We have some neat things in the works.

Tight lines
Steve
www.BassYaks.com